/

Lonely woman wonders how to make friends

By Amy Dickinson, Tribune Content Agency on

Dear Amy: I am a 61-year-old woman, divorced for years. I have an adult daughter, and a small immediate family.

Years ago, I had lots of friends. Some moved, some got married, a lot of them are very involved with their large families, etc.

Here I am -- alone. I am a very active, friendly and interesting person. I have volunteered, gone to church, participated in meet-ups, taken classes, etc.

It is extremely hard to make new friends at this age and in this day.

The majority of people are into their own thing, do things with their families, have their own problems and are not responsive.

I've tried everything. Someone told me to stop trying and it will happen. Nope, it doesn't.

Sponsored Video Stories from LifeZette

I can't believe that in a city as big as New York City, it's so hard to make a friend with so many lonely people out there.

What do people in my shoes do? I need people in my life! Can you give me ideas?

-- Lonely in New York City

Dear Lonely: Being a lonely woman in the big city is a theme that stretches from Edith Wharton to Nora Ephron. You're not alone in being alone.

Clay Bennett Barney Google And Snuffy Smith Wizard of Id Dustin Mother Goose & Grimm Luann