Entertainment

/

ArcaMax

Foreclosure auction of Kevin Spacey's Baltimore home postponed as actor says he is millions in debt

Michelle Deal-Zimmerman, Baltimore Sun on

Published in Entertainment News

BALTIMORE — An auction of Kevin Spacey’s Baltimore home that was set for Thursday has been postponed, the latest twist coming during a week when the Oscar winning actor appeared on a British talk show and said that he owed millions and does not have money to pay his bills.

On an episode of “Piers Morgan Uncensored,” the British TV personality’s YouTube talk show, posted Tuesday, Spacey said he is in danger of losing his Baltimore home — a waterfront condo that has been tied to the actor.

The former star of Netflix’s TV series “House of Cards,” which was filmed in Baltimore, seemed to break down when Morgan asked the 64-year-old actor about where he now lives.

“It’s funny you ask that question because this week, where I have been living in Baltimore is being foreclosed on. My house is being sold at auction,” Spacey said. “So I have to go back to Baltimore and put all of my things in storage.”

Spacey said after that “he’s not sure” where he will live.

“I can’t pay the bills that I owe,” Spacey told Morgan. “This place has been my home and Evan and Lucie [Lowenstein]’s home, since 2016.”

The actor’s agent and friend Evan Lowenstein confirmed he owned a $5.6 million, 9,000-square-foot condo at Pier Homes at Harborview. The home includes five levels, seven bathrooms, an elevator, a home theater and a panoramic roof deck.

The foreclosure auction for an address that is associated with Spacey’s Baltimore residence was crossed out on the Alex Cooper Auctioneers website. A spokesperson for the company confirmed that the auction that had been set for Thursday was canceled.

The Laurel-based firm handling the property listing is McCabe, Weisberg & Conway, which said the foreclosure date was pushed back to July 25.

 

Asked by Morgan how much money he currently has, Spacey said, “None.” But he said he has managed to “dodge” filing for bankruptcy, so far.

The actor went on to describe how he is millions of dollars in debt from legal bills related to several lawsuits he has been fighting over allegations of sexual misconduct in the U.S. and in Britain.

“The house itself is many millions [in debt],” he said.

Spacey said the interview with Morgan represented his first time in a studio since 2017, when he was accused of making unwanted sexual advances to an underage actor. A jury in a $40 million civil lawsuit cleared Spacey of misconduct against Anthony Rapp. In 2023, Spacey was exonerated on sexual assault charges by a jury in a British lawsuit brought by four men.

“There’s no doubt ‘House of Cards’ put [Netflix] on the map,” Spacey said, pushing back on the way he was essentially erased from the hit TV series after the accusations.

Spacey struck an optimistic note at the end as he discussed regaining some aspect of his career.

Asked what he plans to do, Spacey said, “Get back on the horse.”


©2024 Baltimore Sun. Visit baltimoresun.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus