Entertainment

/

ArcaMax

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II addresses 'Wonder Man' cancellation: 'The optics are obvious'

Tracy Brown, Los Angeles Times on

Published in Entertainment News

LOS ANGELES — "Wonder Man" star Yahya Abdul-Mateen II has addressed the recent discussions regarding Marvel's track record on projects led by Black actors after the abrupt cancellation of his show.

"I think the optics are obvious," the Emmy award-winning actor told Vanity Fair in an interview published Thursday. "If I'm a big business, if I'm Disney, if I'm Marvel, I don't want to be attached to these optics. So it should be a priority to change that narrative and to do what it takes to responsibly change that narrative with quality stories, with quality resources."

In "Wonder Man," Abdul-Mateen portrayed Simon Williams, a struggling actor with superpowers that he had to keep secret so he could work in Hollywood. The grounded series — more a love letter to Hollywood than superhero spectacle — was well-received by critics and fans. But just weeks after Abdul-Mateen was nominated for an Emmy for his work on the show, "Wonder Man" was canceled despite the announcement that the series had been picked up for a second season back in March.

Abdul-Mateen was told that the decision "had something to do with the viewership numbers."

"I wasn't told what those numbers were, but ultimately, for whatever reason it was, I think they decided that it didn't make sense for business, and that's the decision that we live with and we keep on marching forward," the actor said to Vanity Fair.

Marvel's abrupt reversal on "Wonder Man" invited scrutiny from fans who had also noted how "Blade" had been stuck in development for years. The film, which had been announced in 2019, was set to star Mahershala Ali as the titular human-vampire hybrid.

"If they wanted to do it, we would've done it," Ali said to GQ in a recent interview, confirming he had "moved on" from the project. (Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige said during a recent podcast appearance that he felt like "a gigantic loser and failure" for not getting "Blade" made.)

 

Fans have also pointed to other Black characters whose storylines have been sidelined or left unresolved over the years, such as Ironheart and Monica Rambeau.

There is one Black-led project for which Marvel has ambitions plans, though.

Marvel recently stoked excitement for the "Black Panther" franchise at San Diego Comic-Con with the announcement that David Jonsson has been cast as T'Challa's son and the new King of Wakanda. "Black Panther 3," from filmmaker Ryan Cooger, will be released on Dec. 15, 2028.

Despite his disappointment, Abdul-Mateen said in his Vanity Fair interview that he understands "business and life move on." But he also believes there are things Marvel and the industry can learn from "Wonder Man."

"I felt that our show did have quality story, did have quality resources, did have quality actors and people, and did produce quality results that the viewers responded to positively, that the [Emmy] voters responded to positively," he said. "So our show does deserve some study and some real, hard information about why a show like this did not continue forward, because it had all of the ingredients that one would want in a show."


©2026 Los Angeles Times. Visit latimes.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus