/

COVID-19 etiquette: How to handle awkward vaccine, church and family situations

Lois K. Solomon, South Florida Sun Sentinel on

Salas agreed.

“If you are planning to have a small group of friends over and would like to invite only fully vaccinated couples, then ask them at the time you invite them. Ask in private; don’t put people on the spot in front of others,” she said.

“Watch your tone of voice. Choose your words wisely and don’t be judgmental,” Salas said. “I suggest you start by explaining why you desire to know: ‘I hope you don’t mind me asking, but my family and I are fully vaccinated and are trying to start gathering with those that are also.’ Depending on the reply, you can decide whether to go ahead with the invite or not.”

If people are arriving at your house without a mask, keep a box handy by the front door and offer them one, Fowler said. If you are still uncomfortable, meet them outside your front door to visit or have a conversation with them.

Q. I am invited to a wedding that will have more than 100 people. I am not sure whether to go. What kinds of questions should I ask that will ease my fears but still be respectful of the hosts?

A. It’s actually the responsibility of the bride and groom to provide COVID information that gives the guests peace of mind, Salas said. Still, feel free to ask questions, such as: Are they requiring fully vaccinated guests and if so, do they require proof? Will they require testing for the unvaccinated? Will they require masks?

“These are valid questions for you to ask if the information has not been provided with the invitation,” she said.

There are several new wedding trends that may reassure you, including smaller and well-spaced tables and open seating that allows guests to sit with family members instead of strangers.

Q. I would like to return to church but my church does not have a mask mandate and I’m concerned people will be unvaccinated. I really miss it and would like to figure out a way to go and be comfortable. Should I discuss this with my pastor? Anyone else I should talk to? Or should I just make my own decision?

A. Salas said this is one of the biggest challenges many of us are facing.

©2021 South Florida Sun Sentinel. Visit at sun-sentinel.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.