Jay Leno broke bones in a recent motorcycle accident -- and now his 'Garage' is canceled
Published in Entertainment News
Jay Leno broke his collarbone and several other bones in a motorcycle accident last week, the comic revealed in an interview published Thursday night. The revelation comes less than two months after he suffered second-degree burns in a car fire in his Burbank garage — and at the same time "Jay Leno's Garage" would be ending its run on CNBC.
While preparing for his March return to stand-up comedy on the Las Vegas Strip, the former "Tonight Show" host told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that the November gas fire was only the first of his recent grisly mishaps.
"That was the first accident. OK? Then just last week, I got knocked off my motorcycle," the 72-year-old TV icon said. "So I've got a broken collarbone. I've got two broken ribs. I've got two cracked kneecaps."
"But I'm OK!" Leno said. "I'm OK, I'm working. I'm working this weekend."
The motorcycle accident happened Jan. 17 while the "Jay Leno's Garage" host was working on another vintage vehicle, he said. The car and bike enthusiast told the Review-Journal that he was test-driving a 1940 Indian motorcycle and noticed the scent of leaking gas.
"So I turned down a side street and cut through a parking lot, and unbeknownst to me, some guy had a wire strung across the parking lot but with no flag hanging from it," he added. "So, you know, I didn't see it until it was too late. It just clotheslined me and, boom, knocked me off the bike.... The bike kept going, and you know how that works out."
The comedy legend said he didn't mention the accident because of the whirlwind of coverage that accompanied his accident in November, when a car fire at his garage landed him in the hospital with burns on his face and elsewhere.
"You know, after getting burned up, you get that one for free," he joked. "After that, you're Harrison Ford, crashing airplanes. You just want to keep your head down."
Last November, Leno said he had been working to repair a clogged fuel line on his 1907 White steam car — one of many vintage cars in his collection — when gas shot out and ignited.
"And my face caught on fire," Leno said in December on NBC's "Today" show.
©2023 Los Angeles Times. Visit latimes.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.