/

Cancel The Wake: My Uncle's Not Dead After All

Judith Martin, Nicholas Ivor Martin and Jacobina Martin on

1. They want to see who else is going to respond first before they commit, and 2. They are not sure if they will feel like it.

Wait, Miss Manners just thought of another: 3. They want to wait to see if they get a better offer.

That these non-responses are rude does not make it any easier to plan if you ignore them right back.

Miss Manners' suggestion is much more effective -- and fun -- than being petulant: "You must not have gotten my text from last week, because I haven't heard back. We would love to have you and the kids over for dinner on Saturday."

And then let us all make a vow to answer invitations promptly, even if we do not feel like it.

DEAR MISS MANNERS: I like to wear pretty stick-on nails with patterns and designs on them. What do I do when someone grabs my hand and looks close-up at the designs? I truly don't know what to say or how to take my hand back when someone has grabbed it.

GENTLE READER: Scream from the shock of it. If that does not scare someone off from harshly grabbing you, Miss Manners suggests that a handful of wayward press-ons might.

========

(Please send your questions to Miss Manners at her website, www.missmanners.com; to her email, dearmissmanners@gmail.com; or through postal mail to Miss Manners, Andrews McMeel Syndication, 1130 Walnut St., Kansas City, MO 64106.)

Copyright 2022 Judith Martin

COPYRIGHT 2022 JUDITH MARTIN

Pat Byrnes David Horsey Dave Whamond Gary McCoy Get Fuzzy Wee Pals