/

Erika Ettin: 7 tips for dating in 2022

Erika Ettin, Tribune News Service on

Go on a first date for a drink, coffee or a walk. Then, if you’re having a good time, you can stay longer and get food. If you arrange for dinner and can’t stand each other — no one hopes for this, but it happens — you are stuck at dinner. Wine bars are great — they usually have a good food menu.

5. If you don’t know, ask.

I get questions all the time about what something means that someone said. The reality of it is I can make an educated guess, but in the end, only the person who said it knows. If you’re not sure what something meant, ask the person who said it.

6. No one is a mind reader.

You want something from your partner. You are not getting that something. Your partner does not know you want it unless you explicitly say it. No hinting. No beating around the bush. Use direct language.

7. Everything short of finding “your person” is not a failure.

We learn a lot about ourselves and other people in the dating process. This is necessary. Some relationships work and some don’t. And many work until they don’t. But the ones that don’t are not failures, and neither are you. It wasn’t a “failed marriage” or a “failed relationship.” Hopefully it was a positive experience (for at least some period) that couldn’t withstand the test of time. Each date or relationship is a learning experience that gets us one step closer to the one that lasts.

Even if we all implement just one of the seven tips above, then 2022 should be a more productive year for dating.

©2021 Tribune Content Agency, LLC