The Kitchn: Try a new treat for your holiday sweet table
Christmas Chex Mix
Serves 15; makes about 15 cups
1 (12-ounce) box rice, wheat, or corn Chex cereal, or 10 to 11 cups of a combination
2 cups mini pretzel twists
1 1/2 cups Christmas M&Ms (10 to 11 ounces)
1 1/2 pounds white chocolate bars or discs (see notes if using white chocolate chips)
1/2 teaspoon flaky salt
1. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper, wax paper, or silicone baking mats.
2. Place 12 ounces Chex cereal (10 to 11 cups), 2 cups mini pretzel twists, and 1 1/2 cups Christmas M&Ms in a large bowl and stir with a rubber spatula until combined.
3. If using bars, coarsely chop 1 1/2 pounds white chocolate (no need to chop discs or chips). Place the chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until melted, about 1 1/2 minutes total. (Alternatively, place in a medium heatproof bowl, fit the bowl over a saucepan containing an inch of simmering water, and melt over low heat, stirring often, 5 to 7 minutes.)
4. Pour the white chocolate over the cereal mixture and gently fold with the rubber spatula, going around the edges of the bowl and scraping down to the bottom, until evenly coated. Transfer to the baking sheets and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon flaky salt.
5. Let sit at room temperature until the chocolate is set, about 1 1/2 hours. (Alternatively, refrigerate for about 45 minutes.) Break into pieces with your hands.
(Christine Gallary is food editor-at-large for TheKitchn.com, a nationally known blog for people who love food and home cooking. Submit any comments or questions to email@example.com.)
©2022 Apartment Therapy. Distributed by Tribune Content AGency, LLC.