/

Ask Amy: Mother-in-law’s clothing choices rankle

Dear Amy: I'll get straight to the point. My mother-in-law dresses in clothes that are too tight or too short.

The clothes aren't revealing, necessarily, but they don't flatter her figure at all. They make her look like she has absolutely no sense of style. I feel bad for her.

I know that she thinks she looks good in these clothes, but I also know that she would want to know if something looked bad on her.

The problem is, I have absolutely no idea how to broach the subject.

She's an extremely sensitive person and I have trouble talking to her about anything even remotely serious.

I have made her cry on occasion just for bringing something up that other people wouldn't think twice about.

Should I tell her how I feel, or do I keep it to myself?

If so, what would I say?

– Doubting DIL

Dear Doubting: Your mother-in-law does not dress for you. She dresses for herself. She no doubt chooses her clothing with some care, and she likely believes she looks good in what she has chosen to wear.

The Lockhorns Kirk Walters Pedro X. Molina Kevin Siers Scary Gary Mike Beckom