/

Reunion brings on fantasy and possible forgiveness

By Amy Dickinson, Tribune Content Agency on

In fact, I asked them, "Why in the world would I want to go to that?" They told me I was being a jerk.

I have not really spoken to anyone in my family since and don't plan on it.

Am I being oversensitive and shallow? Am I being full of myself for being angry at not being included?

I do love my sister very much; however, my family is another story.

-- Second-class Brother

Dear Brother: I agree that it is odd for family members not to acknowledge that you and your sister share a birthday. I can certainly imagine how strange it would be to be so obviously ignored at a family party.

But I'm not sure which came first -- you being treated like a second-class brother or you behaving like one. The appropriate reaction is to be honest about your feelings: "Well, it's awkward for me because I feel so left out." Refusing to celebrate with your sister (it's her day, too) makes you seem petty.

Sponsored Video Stories from LifeZette

Dear Amy: "Unashamed Cat Lover" had ceased speaking to a friend who'd abandoned her cat. You found the words to describe my reaction: "If it is so easy for you to abandon a cat, what is to prevent you from abandoning me?"

-- Cat Man

Dear Cat Man: Unlike people, animals are truly defenseless. We need to be careful stewards.

========

(You can contact Amy Dickinson via email: askamy@amydickinson.com. Readers may send postal mail to Amy Dickinson, c/o Tribune Content Agency, 16650 Westgrove Drive, Suite 175, Addison, Texas, 75001. You can also follow her on Twitter @askingamy or "like" her on Facebook.)

Strange Brew The Pajama Diaries Carpe Diem Garfield For Heaven's Sake Bob Gorrell