Current News
/ArcaMax
Invasive carp are getting closer to the Great Lakes, prompting warnings
Invasive carp reached just 80 miles from Lake Michigan on the Illinois River last week, marking the closest the fish have gotten to the Great Lake as work was halted on a state-federal project meant to stop the voracious fish from moving farther upstream.
Illinois Department of Natural Resources workers removed several hundred small silver carp...Read more
At least 20 structures scorched by Tok wildfire near Alaska Highway
ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A wildfire that roared to life Monday in the Interior Alaska community of Tok has damaged or destroyed at least 20 structures, officials say.
Authorities say a downed power line appears to have started the fire first reported in a backyard before noon Monday. Photos showed a massive column of gray-black smoke rising from ...Read more
Hayden Panettiere's family wanted to 'rid' her of boyfriend before death
Hayden Panettiere’s estranged mom said their family wanted the 36-year-old actor’s on-and-off boyfriend out of her life before she was found dead in his company on Sunday.
“This person in her life that we have been trying to get rid of for quite some time was with her at her death and that was Brian Hickerson,” Lesley Vogel told NBC ...Read more
Boston Mayor Michelle Wu formally warns private property owners not to lease parking to ICE
BOSTON — Mayor Michelle Wu contacted garage and lot owners to ask them to reject ICE requests to use their property for “surge parking,” saying it would constitute an “unwarranted escalation” in federal immigration enforcement in Boston.
“On July 21, we received the distressing news that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE...Read more
Little-known Trump aide is at center of clash with Sen. Jon Ossoff
WASHINGTON — A close aide to President Donald Trump is at the center of an ugly clash between the White House and Sen. Jon Ossoff, after the Democratic lawmaker drew the administration’s ire for highlighting the close nature of her relationship with the president.
Natalie Harp, a 35-year-old executive assistant to the president, is little ...Read more
Judge calls lost ICE video 'troubling,' but Charlotte protesters will stand trial
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Charlotte immigration agents losing key surveillance video in a case accusing protesters of assaulting them is “troubling,” a federal judge said Monday. But it’s not enough to justify tossing charges, he said.
Neither are the false statements agents once made about protesters Heather Morrow and William Stanley, U.S. ...Read more
Pa. woman sues Taylor Farms, Taco Bell over cyclosporiasis infection
PITTSBURGH — A Mercer County, Pennsylvania, woman is suing Taco Bell and Taylor Farms, accusing the companies of negligence after the Avocado Ranch Chicken Stacker she bought at the fast food chain last month left her hospitalized with a cyclosporiasis infection.
The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in federal court on behalf of Heather Kebert, also ...Read more
Colorado Bureau of Investigation's failure to stop scientist's crimes was outrageous government conduct, judge finds
DENVER — The Colorado Bureau of Investigation’s years-long failure to stop the misconduct of DNA analyst Yvonne “Missy” Woods constituted outrageous government conduct, a Weld County District Court judge ruled this month.
Judge Vicente Vigil dismissed a felony sex assault on a child case after finding that the CBI’s inaction, even ...Read more
Bracing for a 'super El Niño,' San Diego plans aggressive storm channel clearing, public awareness campaign
SAN DIEGO — Facing what could be the rainiest winter in years thanks to an expected El Niño, San Diego officials plan to announce Tuesday a broad preparation campaign focused on clearing flood channels and educating residents.
The city plans to nearly double the number of miles of storm channel it clears of weeds and debris this fiscal year,...Read more
Trump takes hard line on Iran as Hormuz standoff drags on
WASHINGTON — U.S. President Donald Trump insisted Tuesday that there were no talks ongoing with Iran, leaving the simmering conflict in the Middle East and control of the Strait of Hormuz stuck in limbo.
“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Trump posted on his social media ...Read more
Sailor charged with murder, reckless endangerment in death of fellow sailor on future USS John F. Kennedy
NORFOLK, Va. — A sailor faces charges in the June killing of a shipmate on the future USS John F. Kennedy.
Aviation Boatswain’s Mate Jayjrion Rodriguez is charged with murder while engaging in an act inherently dangerous to another, involuntary manslaughter, simple assault with a loaded firearm and reckless endangerment.
On June 6, ...Read more
Minnesota sues Texas governor over delayed handover of ICE agent charged in shooting
MINNEAPOLIS — The state of Minnesota sued Texas Gov. Greg Abbott in federal court on Tuesday over a nearly three-month delay in extraditing Christian Castro, the federal agent accused of shooting Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis in north Minneapolis during Operation Metro Surge and later lying about it.
In a news conference announcing the suit, ...Read more
Trump takes hard line on Iran as Hormuz standoff drags on
WASHINGTON — U.S. President Donald Trump insisted Tuesday that there were no talks ongoing with Iran, leaving the simmering conflict in the Middle East and control of the Strait of Hormuz stuck in limbo.
“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Trump posted on his social media ...Read more
ABC sues FCC, alleging Trump-fueled retaliation in TV license fight
ABC went to court Tuesday in an attempt to halt the Federal Communications Commission’s early review of its TV licenses, alleging the move is an attack on the broadcast outlet’s right to free speech.
The Disney-owned network asked a U.S. District Court to issue a temporary restraining order to stop the FCC’s action. The agency says it is ...Read more
Trump making ballroom 'fait accompli,' foes tell Supreme Court
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump is trying to make his White House ballroom a “fait accompli” by building it so quickly the judiciary won’t be able to stop him, a historic preservation group told the U.S. Supreme Court.
In a filing that tees up the high court to decide the fate of the 90,000-square-foot facility, the National Trust ...Read more
Federal judge in Miami orders bond hearing for Haitian businessman Dimitri Vorbe
MIAMI — A prominent Haitian businessman who has been in Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody for nearly a year is entitled to a bond hearing, a federal judge in Miami has ruled.
U.S. District Judge Darrin Gayles, ruling on a habeas corpus petition filed by Dimitri Vorbe, said the federal government cannot continue to hold him in ...Read more
Minnesota sues Texas Gov. Greg Abbott over delayed extradition of ICE agent charged in shooting
MINNEAPOLIS — The state of Minnesota sued Texas Gov. Greg Abbott in federal court on Tuesday over a nearly three-month delay in extraditing Christian Castro, the ICE agent accused of shooting Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis in north Minneapolis during Operation Metro Surge and later lying about it.
Castro has been held in the Cameron County jail near ...Read more
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis appointee for Palm Beach County clerk of courts arrested on child sexual abuse charges
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Mike Caruso, the Palm Beach County clerk of courts and a staunch ally of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, was arrested Tuesday morning on charges linked to the child sexual abuse of his grandson, state officials announced.
Attorney General James Uthmeier announced the arrest in a statement on X.
“Early this morning, with ...Read more
University of Michigan chooses second woman in its history as next president
DETROIT — Vanderbilt University Provost C. Cybele Raver is set to be the next president of the University of Michigan, according to two sources familiar with the selection, making her the second woman in history to lead the school and marking the second time this year the university has chosen a leader at a private university to lead one of ...Read more
ABC sues FCC, alleging Trump-fueled retaliation in TV license fight
ABC went to court Tuesday in an attempt to halt the Federal Communications Commission's early review of its TV licenses, claiming the move is an attack on the broadcast outlet's right to free speech.
The Disney-owned network asked a U.S. District Court to issue a temporary restraining order to stop the FCC's action. The agency says it is ...Read more
Popular Stories
- Trump takes hard line on Iran as Hormuz standoff drags on
- Pelican Rapids, a turkey plant town of 2,600 in Minnesota, saw itself as welcoming to all. Then came ICE
- Analysis: War was supposed to crush Iran's 'Axis of Resistance.' Instead, it's bloodied but unbroken
- More GOP party platforms include anti-IVF language. Is surrogacy next?
- Russia threatens UK over Ukraine attacks with British drones





