NYPD bulking up patrols around NYC mosques after San Diego mass shooting
Published in Religious News
NEW YORK — The NYPD is bulking up patrols around city mosques in the wake of the fatal shooting outside an Islamic center in San Diego, police said Tuesday.
More cops will be found around city mosques, and local precincts will be increasing patrols going past these houses of worship, even though there are no specific threats to the city’s Muslim population, the NYPD said on X.
“The NYPD is closely monitoring reports of an active shooter at the Islamic Center of San Diego,” the department said. “Out of an abundance of caution, the NYPD is increasing deployments to mosques across the city.”
Three people were gunned down outside the Islamic Center of San Diego in California on Monday morning. The center, which also houses a school, is that city’s largest mosque.
The shooting was committed by two teens who afterward took their own lives in a car less than a mile away.
Among the dead was an Islamic Center security guard who San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said “helped minimize the situation.”
“It’s fair to say his actions were heroic and, undoubtedly, he saved lives today,” Wahl said.
Authorities planned to execute search warrants Tuesday as they piece together how and why the attack happened.
There had been no specific threat against the Islamic center, but authorities found that the two teens engaged in “generalized hate rhetoric,” Wahl said, adding that the attack is being investigated as a hate crime.
In a post on X early Monday evening, Mayor Zohran Mamdani decried the killings and said anti-Muslim hate must be confronted.
“I am horrified by the deadly attack at the Islamic Center of San Diego, an apparent act of anti-Muslim violence,” he said. “Islamophobia endangers Muslim communities across this country. We must confront it directly and stand together against the politics of fear and division.”
Only one hate crime against Muslims was reported in New York in April, police said.
NYPD Hate Crime Task Force detectives were also investigating an incident in Brooklyn, after someone pelted a Muslim man with an egg as he prayed outside a mosque.
The 30-year-old victim was attacked outside the Baitul Mamur Mosque and Community Center on Glenmore Ave. near Euclid Ave. in East New York around 3 p.m. Friday, according to police.
Mamdani condemned the Brooklyn incident in a strongly worded post on social media.
“I am aware of the disturbing incident targeting worshipers during Friday prayers outside the Baitul Mamur Mosque in Brooklyn, where a man praying was struck with an egg,” Mamdani posted on X late Sunday. “That hateful act is unacceptable and an affront to the values that define us as New Yorkers. My administration is committed to rooting out anti-Muslim hate in all its forms and ensuring every New Yorker can live and worship in safety and dignity.”
_____
©2026 New York Daily News. Visit nydailynews.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.









Comments