/

Single File: Your Mission

Susan Dietz on

Somewhere along the way, you may find one man you like better than the others. He may not look like Hugh Jackman (look him up if you're not familiar with the name), but there will be something about his sense of humor or the way he sees life that hits home. This is the moment the real challenge presents itself: to continue treating a man like your best buddy when you care about him romantically. (Ironically, pretending he's a female friend is a way to make sure he'll become your best male friend!) If he gets promoted or has a birthday coming up, be sure to send a card or telegram. Make it very clear that you are befriending, not pursuing. (Ahem!) If you're naturally flirtatious, that means keeping the lid on more tightly than ever. Yes, there's a chance this will lead to something more than platonic friendship, and you may be hoping it does, but your mission at this point (should you choose to accept it) is to keep in mind that anything more than friendship is strictly a plus, not at all the object of this exercise. Yes, I know that's a lot to ask, but there's a lot at stake here. So, bear with me.

In fact, even if this man does eventually become special in your life/heart, your goal is still ahead of you: Continue asking other men to casual events, which serve as practice sessions in your plan. The more often you are around men in low-stress settings, the sooner you'll be able to show grace under higher tension -- as in, romance! Naturally, some men you will like more than others, just as with women. But the main payoff is you'll no longer see the male as alien and enemy. In fact, as you walk in their size-10s for a while, you'll probably feel greater compassion for the gender expected to always make the first move! And you'll be more of a woman because you do. (This exercise has the potential for triggering some pretty exciting growth on your part.) Your confidence in initiating will increase as you keep practicing. Remember to prod yourself out of lethargy at group meetings, on your child's school committee, in your house of worship, in your family clan. You'll not blossom into a mover and shaker overnight, but you will become more effective and pleased with the way people react to you. That's a promise.

So many readers complain that romance is dead. I don't agree. I think it's just greatly overstressed from too many years of one-sidedness. (Ahem.) And it's my sense that women are preparing to breathe new life into the male-female situation, readying to assume the responsibility (!) that comes with being an equal in an enormously important relationship. The safety net you're weaving into your life as a single woman will prove to be the linchpin of your transition into that loving partnership. You'll see.

========

We've uncovered another treasure trove of "Single File" paperbacks -- in perfect condition, signed by Susan, ready to enjoy. Send $15 and your address: Susan Deitz, C/O Creators Syndicate, 737 3rd Street, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254. Have a question for Susan? You can reach her directly at susan@single-file.com.

Nate Beeler Get Fuzzy Jimmy Margulies For Better or For Worse Brilliant Mind of Edison Lee John Branch