/

You Know, You Really Shouldn't Say 'should'

Judith Martin, Nicholas Ivor Martin and Jacobina Martin on

I am a teacher. I am lucky enough to have delightful colleagues, with many of whom I am cordial, but not close. We see each other frequently in the halls.

How many times should we greet each other out loud? When, if ever, is it permissible to acknowledge one another with a smile and a quick nod of the head?

I would not wish my fellow teachers to think me rude, but neither do I wish to engage in the awkwardness of one-sided greetings.

GENTLE READER: One full-on greeting a day per colleague is plenty, followed by subsequent hallway nods, smiles, salutes, high-fives and utterances of 'sup, depending upon the intimacy of each relationship.

Rotating these exchanges will no doubt result in a misplaced Not much! to a How's it going?, but Miss Manners has faith that you and your co-workers will find your rhythm eventually.

========

(Please send your questions to Miss Manners at her website, www.missmanners.com; to her email, dearmissmanners@gmail.com; or through postal mail to Miss Manners, Andrews McMeel Syndication, 1130 Walnut St., Kansas City, MO 64106.)

COPYRIGHT 2021 JUDITH MARTIN

DISTRIBUTED BY ANDREWS MCMEEL SYNDICATION

COPYRIGHT 2021 JUDITH MARTIN

Daryl Cagle Paul Szep Humor Me Dustin Jeff Danziger RJ Matson