Health Advice



Good Things Come to Those Who Weight

Scott LaFee on

OK, it's a new year, so this probably means you're back at the gym reintroducing yourself to staff. Good for you. Hop on that treadmill or stationary bike and go for it. Then hit the weights.

A large observational study has found that adding weightlifting to aerobic exercise is good for older adults, lowering their risk from most deaths (but not cancer).

Weightlifting alone was linked to a 9% lower risk of death, while moderate to vigorous aerobic activity alone was tied to a 32% lower risk. Combine both and there was a 41% lower risk of death compared to all those couch potatoes who do neither.

Weightlifting is tied to lean body mass, which is a sign of good health, but the authors also noted that weightlifting could bring social benefits if people work out in a gym with others.

Body of Knowledge

Humans are quite leaky, even apart from the obvious ways. You produce, on average, more than 20 ounces of saliva (mostly water) per day, though much of that is recycled. Approximately 1.5 pints are lost daily when water evaporates from the skin. When you sweat, you exhale approximately 60 to 70 milliliters of water per hour.


Mark Your Calendar

January is awareness month for thyroids, glaucoma, birth defects, cervical health, radon and blood donations. Radon is a naturally occurring, invisible radioactive gas that can cause different kinds of cancer, including possibly cancer of the thyroid, a small, butterfly-shaped gland located at the front of the neck that produces hormones necessary for cell functions.

Stories for the Waiting Room

Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. (1809-1894) was an American poet and essayist, most famous for his "Breakfast-Table" series. He was also a doctor and medical reformer who rightfully concluded, and contrary to thinking at the time, that puerperal fever (postpartum infections) was carried from patient to patient by doctors.


swipe to next page

Copyright 2023 Creators Syndicate Inc.




Free Range Popeye Scott Stantis Mike Shelton Take It From The Tinkersons Joel Pett