New Michigan cyclosporiasis cases hit 2-month low this week
Published in News & Features
DETROIT — The cyclosporiasis outbreak that has sickened thousands in Michigan over the last two months appears to be slowing, according to data released by the state Department of Health and Human Services.
State data shows that 190 new cases of the parasitic illness were reported this week, down from 735 cases reported last week and the lowest since 71 cases were reported the week of June 21. The total number of cases reported in Michigan since late June rose to 14,277.
Michigan officials issued guidance earlier this month that residents can resume eating lettuce and salad greens — the likely source of the outbreak — since new cases and hospitalizations were on the decline.
"Residents may resume their usual food handling practices and make choices based on their individual risk tolerance," the state health department said in a press release, though the department said residents should continue to avoid recalled lettuce.
MDHHS said that on average, people exposed to cyclosporiasis start to feel sick seven days after exposure, but symptoms can take up to 14 days to appear. The department said the data suggest that the majority of the contaminated produce is likely no longer available for consumption and that most exposures occurred in late June to early July.
Cases of cyclosporiasis have been recorded in 72 of Michigan's 83 counties, with the most cases being reported in Wayne County (2,446 cases), Oakland County (1,499 cases), Washtenaw County (1,093 cases) and Ingham County (915 cases).
As of Thursday, a total of 335 people had been hospitalized, according to the state health department.
Two Michigan residents with cyclosporiasis have died amid the outbreak. The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services declined to give many specifics about the deaths, including in which county they occurred, but on Monday said the deceased had "significant underlying health conditions that may have been impacted by cyclosporiasis and dehydration."
Both of the individuals who died fell ill before the Taylor Farms de Mexico voluntary recall on July 17, according to the U.S. Food and Drug administration.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Food and Drug Administration and state public health officials have been investigating the multistate outbreak of cyclosporiasis linked to iceberg lettuce from central Mexico.
Michigan is one of 15 states included in the outbreak, but has reported more cases than any other state. The outbreak has also impacted Missouri, Arkansas, Iowa, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia, Kansas, Illinois, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania.
-----------
©2026 www.detroitnews.com. Visit at detroitnews.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.







Comments