Current News

/

ArcaMax

Bessent flags bigger debt buyback potential, coming fiscal plan

Jorgelina do Rosario, Bloomberg News on

Published in News & Features

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said that he’s prepared to expand efforts to buy back costlier debt and that the administration will be unveiling a new fiscal initiative to address the highest borrowing costs in years.

“We are announcing probably at the end of this week, beginning of next week, an increased focus on fiscal consolidation,” Bessent said in an interview Thursday on CNBC. He told reporters separately that President Donald Trump had tasked him and Budget Director Russ Vought in that initiative.

Bessent spoke after the Treasury Department said Wednesday that it would increase “by at least double” the size of buybacks for longer-dated securities. On Thursday, he explained the move — which came as a surprise to market participants — was intended to ensure orderly trading in a “thin” summer market, and to get investors to focus on “fundamentals.”

The impact on the market was short-lived, with U.S. 30-year bonds erasing gains Thursday. Yields on 10-year securities remained higher than Wednesday following his comments.

The Treasury chief played down Thursday’s market moves, saying “anything that happens within a 24-hour period is noise.” And he highlighted that the expanded buyback operations “could be more than the $4 billion” size currently planned to start next month.

Asked how much more the Treasury is willing to do to get bond yields down, Bessent said, “We have a big toolkit, so we’ll see. And part of it is signaling here — to show that we believe that the yields don’t reflect the underlying fundamentals.”

Wednesday’s announcement followed 30-year Treasury yields reaching their highest in almost two decades, and 10-year rates getting to levels unseen since before Trump took office.

“All we’re trying to do is get people to focus on the fundamentals and not trade the headlines during a quiet period in a thin market,” Bessent said.

Spending cuts?

He didn’t suggest what “headlines” he was concerned about the market paying attention to. But on Wednesday, Treasury data showed that one broad gauge of U.S. debt surpassed $40 trillion for the first time.

 

“They have reserved the right to increase the buyback, but I guess at some point, the markets might view that as desperation,” said John Fath, a managing partner at BTG Pactual Asset Management US LLC. “The bottom line is that deficits are not going away.”

Bessent also didn’t specify what the new fiscal push will involve. But he pointed to the potential for a fraud task force to save “hundreds of billions of dollars” and suggested that “a lot of these programs that are being given to the states” are being “frittered away” and could be cut back.

Meanwhile, there is a “very good chance” the U.S. has already seen a peak in the fiscal deficit, Bessent said. He pointed to a revival of tariff revenue as the administration reworks its import duty programs in the wake of the Supreme Court’s invalidation of much of the president’s levies from last year.

Energy and Iran

“It’s going to be a very exciting couple weeks, a couple months as we put this together,” Bessent said of the new fiscal plan.

Economic growth will allow the U.S. to work down its debt burden, in Bessent’s view. He said that while the recent wave of corporate debt issuance “is causing a short-term competition for capital,” it’s also going to spur productivity growth over time. That in turn will spur a disinflationary expansion, he said.

“The underlying economy, I think, is very strong, and the only inflationary impulses that we’re seeing are coming from energy, which is temporary,” Bessent said.

Oil prices have been climbing again over the past few weeks as tensions rose with Iran. Nevertheless, Bessent echoed Trump’s claims that the Strait of Hormuz is under U.S. control and cited media reports that “large amounts of energy are getting out.”

“We are going to collapse this regime,” Bessent said, referring to the new economic sanctions program that Trump has ordered on Iran. “I’ll be holding a press conference on Monday to talk about exactly what we’re going to do.”


©2026 Bloomberg L.P. Visit bloomberg.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus