Senior Living



Enrolling in Medicare with a blocked Social Security account


-- Have your username and password handy to begin Medicare enrollment.

If you don’t have a “My Social Security Account”:

-- Open a “My Social Security Account” at to be prepared to apply for Medicare Parts A and B when turning 65 and not working full-time with employer health insurance or not covered by a spouse’s employer health insurance.

Here are the different situations for applying for Medicare:

1. Turning 65 and receiving your Social Security:

-- You should receive your “Welcome to Medicare” kit by mail with your new Medicare card 90 days prior to turning 65.

2. Turning 65 and NOT receiving your Social Security check (this is Jodie’s situation):

-- You do not get an automatic “Welcome to Medicare” kit with your Medicare card.


-- You must visit to enroll in Medicare 90 days prior to turning 65 for your Medicare Parts A and B to begin the first day of the month you turn 65.

3. Turning 65 and still working with employer’s benefits:

-- Medicare allows you to delay your Medicare if you or your spouse are working full-time with employer benefits (not retirement benefits).

If you think you are confused about how to enroll in Medicare when turning 65, wait until you jump into the maze of Medicare health and prescription drug plan options. (Chapter 1 of Toni’s Medicare Survival Guide Advanced edition explains ways to enroll in Medicare.)

- - -

Toni King is an author and columnist on Medicare and health insurance issues. She has spent nearly 30 years as a top sales leader in the field. If you have a Medicare question, email or call 832-519-8664. The “Medicare Survival Guide Advanced” edition and her new “Confused about Medicare” video series are available at

Copyright 2024 Toni King, Distributed by Counterpoint Media




Jeff Koterba Non Sequitur Walt Handelsman Mother Goose & Grimm Mutts Joel Pett