/

Ask Amy: Parents worry that girlfriend isn’t worthy

Dear Amy: My son "Jeramiah" has been dating "Anabel" for over a year.

Anabel has never brought my husband or me a card or gift for our birthdays or Christmas. She has never offered to help clean up after a meal, even when my son is helping.

I had surgery, and she never asked how it went or how I was feeling.

My biggest concern is her lack of motivation. Anabel’s type of work doesn't offer medical insurance or benefits. I feel like she is pushing Jeramiah to get married because next year she will no longer be on her parents' insurance.

I think she wants to marry him to be taken care of and quit her job.

We give Anabel gifts, have hosted her family, have supported her at her place of business, and always try to make her feel welcome.

My son sat us down and asked if we liked Anabel because he was thinking of proposing in the next year.

I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my relationship with him, so I didn't answer his question directly.

Instead, I asked HIM lots of questions in hopes that he would think about her qualities to see if she was truly the person he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.

What else can I do?

Dinette Set Heathcliff Jack Ohman Doonesbury Jeff Danziger Dave Whamond