/

Ask Amy: Rogue aunt snags reluctant dog sitters

Dear Amy: My husband’s father died when my husband was only 3 years old.

His father had a sister, “Anne,” who never had anything to do with my husband and his siblings while they were growing up, but has surfaced over the last couple of years.

She has given my husband some things that belonged to his paternal grandfather, but other than that there has not been much contact.

Recently, out of the blue, Anne asked my husband and me to watch her 2-year-old dog (a black Lab) so she could have a break and settle her husband back into their home after having surgery.

We took the pup into our home, but at the same time I told my husband I thought it was odd that she would ask us.

I've laid eyes on this woman twice in the 36 years I've been married to my husband.

The pup was very unsettled and my husband ended up taking the dog back to Anne’s home during the night – after spending two days with us.

A week or so later we received a thank you note, and she wrote that she was hoping we could take the pup every now and then as a favor to her.

It feels very awkward to me.

I told my husband from the start that I had a feeling she was going to use us as her dog sitter.

For Better or For Worse Dogs of C-Kennel Gary Varvel Taylor Jones Jack Ohman Marshall Ramsey