I am a rock group that has 4 members, all of whom are dead, one of which was murdered. What am I?View full teaser and answer
Six girls, Beth, Haley, Kayla, Liza, Reeva, and Zoe, are in the junior cabin at camp. They sleep in bunk beds. Each girl has a different color blanket on her bed. The beds are lined up in a row with red, black, yellow, brown, blue, and green blankets.
1. Reeva and Haley's bed is closest to the door.
2. The color of the blankets on the bottom bunks all begin with the same letter.
3. The color of Beth's blanket does not begin with the same letter as the beginning of her name.
4. Reeva's blanket color does begin with the same letter as her name.
5. The blue blanket is under the red blanket.
6. Liza and Kayla like their lower bunks.
7. Kayla is in ...
What's the rebus shown by this display below?
Today’s position is a toughie. In fact, it took grandmaster play over 70 years to come up with the right solution. It is White to play his 14th move. It’s a long attacking line, so you need a plan.View solution
A group of four prisoners were held captive by the enemy and each prisoner was to be shot each day through the week. As natural disasters were common in this specific part of the world, the group of prisoners decided to make up a plan of distracting the guards. Before each prisoner would be shot, they would shout out a natural disaster, which would cause chaos and distract everyone to give enough time for each prisoner to escape. As three days passed the first three prisoners escaped by shouting out their chosen natural disasters and running away, however the final prisoner shouted out a disaster and was shot dead on the spot.
What was the natural disaster he shouted?View full teaser and answer
TRANCE, STAIN, CHIME, TUBA and PERK. These words all belong to the same logical family. Which of the following words also belongs to that family?
GERMANE, EMBARGO, BANANA and NIGHTMAREView full teaser and answer
Today’s position is from my book, Openings for Amateurs-Next Steps. White is obviously winning, but what is the quickest way to mate Black?View solution
A blind man drives up to a house, gets out of the car and goes up to the door with a package. The homeowner takes the package and gives the blind man a check. The blind man then drives away. What was in the package?View full teaser and answer
What, when you need it you throw away,
but when you don't need it you take it back?
In the old Chess Review magazine, I used to love the puzzles they always had in each issue. We’ll share some of those this week.View solution
A man leaves home on foot one evening, makes three left turns and arrives back home to find two masked men waiting there. Who are they?View full teaser and answer
Ole Santa's pack held thirty toys
Made by his elfin crew;
And though none made the same amount,
Each elf made more than two.
The elf named Cher made one more Christmas toy
Than the elf who dressed in reds,
But Cher made one less Christmas toy
Than the elf who made the sleds.
Spry Johnny Elf made racing cars;
Five toys were made by Jane.
The elf who dressed in yellow suits
Made each and every train.
The elf who always dressed in green
Made one-third as many as Sue;
Cute Marcia elf was dressed in orange,
And one elf dressed in blue.
The elf who made the spinning tops
Made the most toys of ...
There is an island filled with grass and trees and plants. The only inhabitants are 100 lions and 1 sheep. The lions are special:
1) They are infinitely logical, smart, and completely aware of their surroundings.
2) They can survive by just eating grass (and there is an infinite amount of grass on the island).
3) They prefer, of course, to eat sheep.
4) Their only food options are grass or sheep.
Now, here's the kicker:
5) If a lion eats a sheep he TURNS into a sheep (and could then be eaten by other lions).
6) A lion would rather eat grass all his life than be eaten by another lion (after he turned into a sheep).
1) Assume that one lion...
Last week we saw legendary GM Milan Vidmar at his best. Chess has its equalizing tendencies as he takes it on the chin in this game.View solution
What does this rebus mean?
J, ____ & TitanicView full teaser and answer
Each of the following sentences contains clues to a set of three words that are spelled the same, except for one letter (each sentence describes a different set). Example: malt, melt, molt.
1) To reduce the strength of the enemy, the general ordered a siege of the citadel.
2) The winner of the contest won a vessel and the loser received a kick in the pants.
3) Bill tried to remove a piece of wood from the pile, but it was jammed between two logs.
4) Ed grabbed the bucket of hot water with his bare hands, causing an ache to two of his fingers.View full teaser and answer
Six words have had their fish removed. The fish have been placed into Group A. The remaining letters of each word have been placed into Group B. Your task is to reconstitute the words by merging each fish with the proper set of letters. Other than merging the two groups together, there is no rearranging of the letters. Example: sand + pne= spanned (SpANneD).
Group A: bass, carp, gar, shark, trout, tuna
Group B: acue, hugho, moc, rnula, rtble, sholshi
The American Civil War has ended. Can you repatriate the Confederacy (gray) into the Union (blue) by changing one letter at a time? Each step must create a valid word in the English language. President Abraham Lincoln made the change in 6 steps (for the history buffs out there, Abe planned these changes before he was assassinated). Can you do as well ... or better?
GRAY ---- BLUEView full teaser and answer
Black Resigned right after White played his first move in this position.View solution
The countries of Russia and Egypt share a characteristic that only one of the countries in the following list also shares. Which country and for what reason? It has nothing to do with spelling or pronunciation.
(Hint: The answer covers a lot of ground ...)View full teaser and answer