I'm seven times seventy,
Plus a decade more.
This has all happened before.
Red and gold, I am no liar.
My nursery will be made
From my funeral pyre.
Who am I?View full teaser and answer
Can you identify what phrase is represented here?
nasmetofolopveView full teaser and answer
I don’t normally do more than composed mate in two problems, but you can do this mate in three, based on two key items: the black king is stalemated and there is a reason for the two black pawns being on the board.View solution
Can you find the one word for each list that can be added to the end of each word in it's list to create a new word, compound word, or phrase?
This is another position from Abrahams’ book. A fine example of how to transition to a winning endgame.View solution
Read this rebus backward to reveal a famous song.
2 T T T TView full teaser and answer
The following sentences can be completed by adding two words that are anagrams of one another. Each word has only four letters. Enjoy!
1. If you prick your finger while picking a ____, it may be very ____.
2. If you take a ____ at the Mad Hatter's party, you still may not get a sip of his ____.
3. If you need some stamps, then you must ____ by the ____ office.
4. If you eat a whole ____ of a wedding cake, you may develop a spare ____ around your middle.
5. If you have a ____ with your friend, you should forgive them and focus on the future, not on the ____.View full teaser and answer
Last time out we had a game by Lommer. He turned that game into a composition. That should help you solve this problem.View solution
The following phrases are colloquialisms, idioms or proverbs that are written in their literal, and rather complicated form. Can you uncover their true meanings and solve this teaser?
Example: "Don't place the two wheeled vehicle in a position preceding the equine mammal," is the proverb "Don't put the cart before the horse."
1. Positive aesthetic appeal is solely the equivalent of the thickness of the epidermis.
2. The ground covering of slender leaved plants is always a more vibrant hue of a common secondary color in the proximity of the opposite surface of a structure serving as a boundary.
3. Produce the sound of sharp tapping by striking blows to a processed piece of secondary ...View full teaser and answer
Lommer won this game in 1967 under the threat of mate in one by White.View solution
In each sentence the name of a tree is hidden. The willow is hiding in the first sentence. Can you find the others?
1. I will owe you a favor if you drive me to the airport.
2. I am afraid of going up in elevators.
3. Drinking cocoa keeps me warm on long winter nights.
4. I hope the map leads us to buried treasure.
5. "Eat another bonbon," said our charming hostess.
6. Nepal may be the most interesting place I have ever visited.
7. Remember to fold the map, please.
8. I feel many lumps in this mattress.
9. Word processing is not as useful as pens and paper for creative brainstorming.
scraughed, scrinched, scritched, scrooched, sprainged, spreathed, throughed, thrutched, strengths, straights, scratched, scrounged, scrunched, stretched, screeched, scraunched, broughams, and craunched.
All these words have one thing in common. What is it?View full teaser and answer
During a recent cipher convention, a binary code contest took place. The contest consisted of a binary code transmission where the spaces between the letters were missing and there was no punctuation. Each letter of the alphabet was translated into its binary equivalent based on its position in the alphabet, a=1, b=10, c=11, d=100, e=101, f=110, g=111, h=1000, i=1001, j=1010, k=1011, l=1100, m=1101, n=1110, o=1111, p=10000, q=10001, r=10010, s=10011, t=10100, u=10101, v=10110, w=10111, x=11000, y=11001, z=11010. Can you find 9 countries?
Here’s another missed opportunity from Moscow, 1935. Miss Menchik overlooked a winning move against GM Gideon Stahlberg.View solution
If you run, you will need me,
If you live, you will breathe me.
When you climb a mountain,
I will start to disappear,
No matter how hard you listen,
No sound will enter your ear.
I'm a reason you're alive,
Without me you would surely die.
The way I come in is not the way I get out,
Another hint is that you use me more when you shout.
Without a helper I would not get in or out at all.
What am I, and what is my helper?View full teaser and answer
Below, 10 nine letter words have been broken into chunks of three letters. These chunks have been mixed up, no chunk is used twice and all chunks are used. Can you determine what the 10 words are?
cer ent ead rat uti spr
ful oun pro ann ope ockr
nce een oat est liv ionr
nou sev ion ast hou akfr
bre bea ens dim bed sebr
The following are famous books and their authors. Letters have been taken from each book and each author. From the letter list below fill in each letter to give the names of the books and authors.
D- Vi--i C-d-
To K--l A Mo-k--g Bird
Of M--e An- M-n
S. -. H--t-n
The A-v-ntu--s of H--kle-er-y F--n
T-e Sil-n-e of t-e L-m-s
aaaaaaaaabbbcccccccddeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhiiiiiiiikkllnnnnnnnnnoooorrrrrrrrrrsssttuuxyView full teaser and answer
As a chess teacher, I consider teaching my students to recognize certain common patterns so they can win games without expending too much clock time trying to figure things out. Even the greats need to recognize these patterns. Sometimes they forget! Take this case: Fairhurst-Reshevsky, Hastings, 1937-38. Reshevsky as Black missed the pattern—...View solution
What common phrase is represented by this rebus?
Weak, "I'm going."
Tough, "I'm staying."
Weak, "I'm going."
Tough, "I'm staying."
Weak, "I can't do it, I'm staying!"
Tough, "Lets get going."
Checkers was meeting with the lazy Sorceress and Mr.Tin, two well known dog breeders. They were just ending a conversation about politics when Mr.Tin asked Checkers if he had ever owned a dog. Checkers, trying to make it seem as if he knows something about dogs said, "Yes, I used to have a Basenji. He would always bark when someone was coming up the driveway." Mr.Tin and the lazy Sorceress knew he was lying and decided to leave. What did he lie about?View full teaser and answer