Current News

/

ArcaMax

Sweden's Kristersson cancels campaign speech after school attack

Charlie Duxbury, Bloomberg News on

Published in News & Features

Sweden’s Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson canceled a campaign speech for next month’s general election after a sword attack at a school left a 17-year-old girl dead and three others injured.

The attack in the central Swedish town of Fagersta by a suspect who was later shot and detained by police, left local residents and officials in shock and cast a shadow over political campaigning ahead of polling day on Sept. 13. It again threw a spotlight on the issue of law and order in Sweden, which surveys have shown is a key concern for voters.

Kristersson was due to speak just outside Stockholm on Saturday, but said late Friday his focus would instead be “devoted to the work surrounding the incident.”

Police have declined to comment on the motive for the attack by the suspect, who local media said was an 18-year-old former student at the school. The events evoked memories of two previous attacks on schools, one in the western town of Trollhattan in 2015 and another in Orebro last year.

 

While most of the focus in Sweden has been on criminal gangs rather than lone wolf attacks, both the current government and the opposition Social Democrats have been seeking to convince voters that they can keep society safe by making greater investments in policing and imposing harsher punishments on serious offenders.

Social Democrat leader Magdalena Andersson called the reports from Fagersta “terrible” and said her thoughts were with those affected. Opposition Left Party politician Nooshi Dadgostar also canceled a planned speech and other campaigning events in Stockholm on Saturday.


©2026 Bloomberg L.P. Visit bloomberg.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus