One of the anchor suburbs in the San Gabriel Valley, Monterey Park is a hub of Asian American supermarkets and restaurants.
Monterey Park’s two-day Lunar New Year festival had been scheduled to conclude on Sunday. But that day’s events are canceled “out of an abundance of caution and in reverence for the victims,” Monterey Park Police Chief Scott Wiese said.
White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre tweeted that President Joe Biden has been briefed on the Monterey Park shooting. The tweet said Biden directed his homeland security adviser, Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall, “to make sure that the FBI is providing full support to local authorities, and to update him regularly today as more details are known.”
The mass shooting in Monterey Park was one of the worst in modern Los Angeles County history. One of the last mass shootings of this scale happened on Christmas Eve in 2008, when a man dressed as Santa Claus entered a home in Covina, armed with five handguns. Nine people were killed in that shooting rampage, including the gunman’s former wife and her parents. The gunman took his life hours after the shootings.
Other mass shootings in California in recent memory include the massacre at a San Ysidro McDonald’s in 1984, where a gunman killed 21 people; and the terrorist attack that resulted in 14 deaths in San Bernardino in 2015.
Saturday’s shooting came just five days after six people — including a 10-month-old baby, her 16-year-old mother and a grandmother — were killed in the Central Valley farming community of Goshen in Tulare County.
Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call the L.A. County Sheriff’s homicide detectives at (323) 890-5500. Anonymous tips can be made by calling (800) 222-8477.
(Los Angeles Times staff writer Ruben Vives contributed to this report.)©2023 Los Angeles Times. Visit at latimes.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.