Current News



1 of 3 wounded in NC mall shooting remains in critical condition

Avi Bajpai, Mark Schultz and Lars Dolder, The News & Observer on

Published in News & Features

RALEIGH, N.C. — A man shot at The Streets at Southpoint mall in Durham Friday remains in critical condition as of Saturday afternoon, according to Durham police.

Two others who were shot, another adult male and a 10-year-old, sustained non-life-threatening injuries, Durham police said in a news release.

In addition to the three people who were shot, three others were injured in the shooting’s aftermath, but also with non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

Police said Friday they have one individual in custody, but no charges have been filed yet in connection with the shooting, which terrified hundreds of shoppers at the mall on one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

The update from police came after the mall reopened Saturday morning with hours from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Hours for individual stores and restaurants may vary, the mall’s website stated.

Chaotic scenes unfolded at the mall Friday just before 3:30 p.m., when shoppers were startled by sounds of gun shots and ran for the mall’s exits. Several reports that shots had been fired emerged on social media as mall-goers cautioned people to stay away from the shopping center, which was quickly evacuated by police.


Durham Police Chief Patrice Andrews later confirmed that three people had been shot, one of whom was a 10-year-old who was hit by a bullet ricochet. The child was taken to the hospital with what appeared to be non-life-threatening injuries, according to a follow-up police news release.

Police provided no information about the others who were shot, but did say three additional people suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the aftermath of the shooting that were not gunshot wounds.

Durham police officers who were working off-duty inside The Streets at Southpoint on Fayetteville Road requested assistance after hearing gunshots around 3:23 p.m., Andrews said during a news conference Friday evening.

The incident, which was reported on the second floor of the mall, involved two groups of people who knew each other, she said.


swipe to next page
©2021 The News & Observer. Visit at Distributed at Tribune Content Agency, LLC.