Current News

/

ArcaMax

Democratic congressman seeks accounting of CDC's 'no-sail' order for cruises

By Jessica Wehrman, CQ-Roll Call on

Published in News & Features

WASHINGTON - The cruise industry, shut out of federal COVID-19 aid and ordered not to sail through Oct. 31, is now the subject of even more scrutiny: A Democratic lawmaker wants to know if the Trump administration intervened in a decision on when cruise ships can safely resume sailing.

In an Oct. 13 letter to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield, Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney questioned whether the White House weighed in on the CDC's decision to extend the no-sail order to Oct. 31. Press reports say the CDC wanted to extend the order through Feb. 15, 2021, but backed off after White House involvement.

"I am worried about impairments to the independence of the CDC's science-based and unbiased public health advice based on reported interference from the White House and political leadership in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as well as pressure from the cruise line industry," wrote Maloney, a New York Democrat and chairman of the House Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation.

Maloney was referring to reports by The New York Times and Axios that President Donald Trump's Coronavirus Task Force decided to shorten the extension of the no-sail order at a meeting on Sept. 29 after input from the cruise line industry. On Sept. 30, it extended it for one month, to Oct. 31. The largest cruise lines had already agreed to suspend operations through that date.

Cruises became synonymous in the early days of the pandemic with the spread of the virus in tightly packed spaces. Images of first the Diamond Princess, with 712 infected and nine dead in February, then the Grand Princess, held off Oakland, California, with 78 passengers positive for the virus, became public relations nightmares for an industry that claims to generate more than $150 billion in worldwide economic activity and support 2 million jobs.

There have been hints that the industry is making its first tentative steps toward a return. Carnival Corp., which owned those ships through its Princess Cruises subsidiary, last month resumed limited operations in Italy under its Costa brand, with three ships on the water, and launched its AIDA brand last weekend.

 

Cruise industry experts met with Vice President Mike Pence Oct. 9 to discuss a possible return to service, presenting to Pence a list of 74 recommendations ranging from temperature checks and testing to face coverings aimed at helping to relaunch the industry.

The recommendations, which were not tied to the government's sailing ban, were commissioned by Royal Caribbean and Norwegian, two industry giants, and crafted by a panel headed by Scott Gottlieb, former commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and Mike Leavitt, former Utah Governor and Health and Human Services secretary.

Laziza Lambert, a spokeswoman for the Cruise Lines International Association, a trade group, declined to comment on whether the industry sought to shorten the no-sail period recommendation, but said members of the association have spent "significant time and resources" working to develop more stringent health and sanitation measures. Those measures include 100% testing for all passengers and crew, enhanced embarkation and screening procedures and shore excursion oversight.

"With proper protocols in place and enforced, we believe a responsible phased-in resumption of cruising is possible," she said.

...continued

swipe to next page
(c)2020 CQ-Roll Call, Inc., All Rights Reserved, Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.