Current News

/

ArcaMax

Baltimore state's attorney says Sean Suiter's death investigation still open day after police say it's closed

Tim Prudente, The Baltimore Sun on

Published in News & Features

BALTIMORE -- The Baltimore State's Attorney's Office said Thursday that the investigation into detective Sean Suiter's death remains open, a day after the police department said it closed its investigation.

Asked to comment about the case, State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby declined to answer any questions.

"I can't comment on open and pending matters," Mosby said.

Mosby's comments come a day after Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison said the department closed its investigation after it received a report by the Maryland State Police of its review of the investigation into Suiter's death. Harrison said the latest report supports an earlier external review that found Suiter committed suicide, "nor was there any suggestion that the case should be re-investigated or continued."

The police department has not publicly released the report.

Suiter was shot in the head and killed in November 2017, after he darted into a vacant lot in West Baltimore while investigating a homicide.

 

The investigation prompted police to cordon off the Harlem Park neighborhood for days as the agency searched for the gunman. It was later revealed that Suiter was shot one day before he was to appear before a federal grand jury investigating the Gun Trace Task Force corruption scandal.

It's unclear whether the police department closing its case will cause the medical examiner's office to change the manner of death, which was previously ruled a homicide.

Bruce Goldfarb, a spokesman for the state medical examiner's office, said Thursday he could not comment on any potential changes to the finding because of the investigation out of the state's attorney's office.

"We don't discuss cases that are under investigation," he said.

...continued

swipe to next page
 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus