Death toll rises to 4 after storms ravage parts of KY; state of emergency declared

Taylor Six, Lexington Herald-Leader on

Published in Weather News

LEXINGTON, Ky. — A swath of high winds and heavy rain pummeled much of Kentucky over the Memorial Day weekend causing power outages, broad destruction, impassable roads and claiming four lives.

It was part of a punishing weather system that stretched from Texas to West Virginia and has killed at least 21 as it churned toward the East Coast Sunday.

Lexington and much of Central Kentucky dodged the worst of the violent storms. There were some power outages, downed branches and pounding rain, but residents here missed much of the destruction seen around the commonwealth.

“Last night, many families and communities were not safe,” Gov. Andy Beshear said at his Memorial Day news conference. “We had devastating storms that hit almost the entire state.”

Among the dead: A 67-year-old woman in Mercer County; a woman in Hardin County who was 62; a 48-year-old woman in Hopkins County; and a 34-year-old man in Jefferson County. Beshear did not release their names.

Mercer County Coroner David Ransdell said the death there happened when a tree fell on a house, causing the roof to collapse into a bedroom and killing a 67-year-old woman in bed. Ransdell pronounced the woman dead at the scene at 1:15 a.m. Monday.


The woman’s husband was with her. He was injured and was taken to the hospital but his injuries were not life-threatening, according to a release from Brad Cox, the county emergency manager.

Louisville Mayor Mayor Craig Greenberg announced the death there Sunday afternoon. “Louisville, I’m sad to report we’ve had one fatality following the severe weather that just moved through the area and some structural damage reported,” Greenberg said on the social media platform X.

“Please join me in holding this family in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time — may their memory be a blessing.”

The death in Louisville happened around noon Sunday when a man was hit by a tree on Hobbs Station Road near Anchorage. He was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.


swipe to next page

©2024 Lexington Herald-Leader. Visit at Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.



blog comments powered by Disqus