Today's Word "zarf"

Decorative holder for a cup on

Published in Vocabulary

zarf \zahrf\ (noun) - In the Middle East, coffee is often drunk from cups without handles and tea, from glasses. A zarf is a decorative holder, usually from metal, with a handle that prevents the hot cup or glass from burning fingers. Some zarfs also have no handles, such as the insulation jackets that hold glasses to keep their contents cold.

"My dear, I am your zarf: you are just my cup of tea and I want to hold you forever."


Today's word is an Arabic word meaning "container, envelope." The Russians call a similar metal exoskeleton for their tea glasses a podstakannik "a 'subglassnik'."




Scott Stantis The Barn Signe Wilkinson Strange Brew Rose is Rose Rudy Park