Home & Leisure

How to protect your deceased loved one's credit after death

Ashley Kimler, on

Published in Home and Consumer News

If you’re not the spouse, you may need to submit proof that you’re authorized to act on behalf of the deceased, such as a copy of a will, executor agreement or power of attorney documentation.

Having this information readily available will ensure a smooth and efficient process when you contact the credit bureaus.

2. Write letters to notify the credit bureaus

The three major credit bureaus, Transunion, Equifax and Experian, must be notified of the death. The first bureau you contact will notify the other two on your behalf.

However, one bureau cannot necessarily initiate a credit freeze across all three bureaus. So, you should contact all three bureaus and send copies of all necessary documents with each letter.

Use this simple template to notify the credit bureaus of your loved one’s death and request a credit freeze:


[Your Name]

[Your Address]

[City, State, Zip Code]

[Your Phone Number]


swipe to next page

©2024 Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.


blog comments powered by Disqus