Home & Leisure

How to file a Hurricane Ida damage claim for wind and flooding

Erin Arvedlund, The Philadelphia Inquirer on

Published in Home and Consumer News

Have you had hurricane damage to your home or business?

Here are some basic tips on filing claims.

Hurricane Ida's $19 billion in insured losses will generally be covered by private insurers for wind damage and the federal government's National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) for flood damage, the Consumer Federation of America said.

"Most people who had flood damage from this storm will be covered by flood insurance," said J. Robert Hunter, CFA's director of insurance and former Texas Insurance Commissioner and Federal Insurance Administrator who ran the National Flood Insurance Program. "But if you don't have flood insurance, you won't be covered."

Losses due to flooding are not covered under a homeowner's policy. Flood insurance is offered through the NFIP.

Almost all homeowners policies cover wind damage, he said, but insurers have been steadily increasing hurricane wind coverage deductibles and imposing other, sometimes draconian, homeowners insurance policy limitations.


Coverage changes are often buried in renewal paperwork that consumers may not understand or even read.

Because so many consumers filed claims in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, he said, "we urge homeowners dealing with losses caused by Hurricane Ida to be vigilant with their insurance companies, including the insurers settling National Flood Insurance claims, to ensure that that they receive a full and fair settlement."

Tips for filing an insurance claim

This advice comes from the CFA on how to file a claim as a consumer:


swipe to next page
©2021 The Philadelphia Inquirer, LLC. Visit at Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.