Home & Leisure

Q&A: Confused about the new unemployment tax break? We answer your questions

David Lightman, The Sacramento Bee on

Published in Home and Consumer News

A. The IRS has a worksheet to help you calculate the benefit, but be warned: It’s complicated. You may need to consult a tax professional.

Q. Both my spouse and I received unemployment benefits last year.. Can we both claim the tax break?

A. Yes. If you both received $10,200, for instance, and qualify for the break, you can subtract $20,400 from your taxable income, assuming your modified adjusted gross income is less than $150,000.

Q. If I earn more than $150,000, how much tax do I pay on the unemployment benefit?

A. You are taxed at the regular rate that applies to your ordinary income if your modified adjusted gross income is over $150,000 by even $1.

Q. I filed my 2020 tax return before the $10,200 benefit was created. What do I do?


A. Nothing. The IRS announced this week it will “take steps to automatically refund money this spring and summer to people who filed their tax return reporting unemployment compensation before the recent changes made by the American Rescue Plan.”

Q. Could I wind up with a refund?

A. Possibly. The IRS said it will “take steps in the spring and summer to make the appropriate change to their return, which may result in a refund.” First refunds are expected in May and probably continue during the summer.

IRS advises that for those who already filed returns, it will figure the proper amount of unemployment compensation and tax.

The recalculations will occur in two phases. First up will be people eligible for the up to $10,200 break. Next will be married filing joint filers who are eligible for the up to $20,400 exclusion and people with “more complex” returns.

©2021 The Sacramento Bee. Visit at Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.