/

Ask Amy: Single woman doesn’t want to be hit on

Dear Amy: I am a single woman in my mid-50s. I never married or had children and like it this way.

I enjoy people, but am a classic introvert who recuperates her energy by being alone.

I enjoy going to museums and restaurants on my own. There is a restaurant/bar right down the street from me that I enjoy going to.

Recently, I went to this restaurant by myself and sat at the bar to have a drink and maybe eat something.

I wasn’t there for long when a man came up beside me, saddled up, and took up conversation with me. I really didn’t want to talk to him, and I didn’t want him sitting next to me.

I stayed polite and after an hour or so, I said goodnight, nice to meet you, and left. I did not want to eat with him next to me.

This week I again went to this restaurant by myself. This time I decided to sit at a table, hoping not to be approached by strangers.

Now, for the first time in my life, a man came up to my small, two-person table, pulled out the opposite seat, and sat down to join me without even asking or introducing himself.

The waiter arrived with my food just as this man had taken up an uninvited place at my table.

I asked the server to instead box up the food to go, as I didn’t want to eat with this stranger sitting at my table.

Strange Brew Darrin Bell Adam Zyglis Arctic Circle Chip Bok BC