/

Ask Amy: Readers offer their own resolution responses

Dear Readers: By this time of year, many of us have tried – and already discarded – our New Year’s resolutions.

In the spirit of making, keeping, or perhaps restarting these resolutions, I’m devoting this column to reader responses to a recent question from “Unresolved” about the challenge of maintaining resolutions.

Dear Amy: The only resolution I truly kept was to discard one item every week, after downsizing from a home to a condo.

So easy! So liberating! It cured me of needing to hold on to “stuff.”

– Gloria, in Grand Rapids, Michigan

Dear Amy: Why are we so stuck on January 1 as the day all resolutions must begin?

It's hard to get moving in the dead of winter. Instead, look at the spring equinox as your starting point for new resolutions, and spend the winter months reflecting on old habits, slowly shedding the ones that don't work for you anymore, and thinking of ways to improve your life once the snow melts.

Spring has always felt like the start of a new year to me, anyway.

– Alli

Dear Amy: Never make a New Year’s resolution. Wait until April 1, because then if you fail, you are only making a fool of yourself.

Jerry King Cartoons The Argyle Sweater David Horsey For Heaven's Sake Bart van Leeuwen Dave Whamond