/

Ask Amy: Retirees rebound from a major whoopsie

Dear Amy: My husband and I retired to a wonderful Southwestern city.

Our two adult children are married and live in other parts of the country. They each have young children.

During the pandemic, my son, daughter-in-law and baby granddaughter in Florida were alone, with no nearby relatives – as were we.

After the pandemic, we decided that we should move to Florida to help them out, and in turn, they would be there for us as we aged.

They were also excited and encouraged us to purchase a home near them. We bought a home (over FaceTime!), sold our other home, quit our local clubs and activities and moved.

We quickly realized we had made a mistake and that we didn’t like living in Florida.

We assumed we would become an integral part of our kids’ lives, but their expectations were totally different. We only babysat twice in six months!

After six months, we moved back to the Southwest.

We are now working to resume our old lives, but my daughter-in-law no longer calls us or participates in calls to any extent.

I know we made a hasty decision that has resulted in hurt and bad feelings.

Macanudo Mike Luckovich Randy Enos Marvin Joel Pett Pickles