/

Ask Amy: Photoshop can’t ‘fix’ this awkward picture

Dear Amy: “Carlos” and I are both volunteers in an arts organization.

Before knowing him well, I emailed him a photograph I entered into two juried exhibitions. The photo was chosen both times and has been exhibited.

Carlos lists himself as a photographer, which is why I chose to share it.

He wrote back, asking if I’d ever heard of Photoshop.

He then sent me his Photoshopped version of my photo along with an explanation of how he had “fixed” it.

I didn’t respond. It didn’t have anything to do with our volunteer work, so I let it go.

Then, another person sent him two photographs for us to use in publicizing an event for our organization.

Carlos replied to that person, cc’ing me, and sent her his photoshopped versions of her photos.

He then asked me to use those photos, and provided a text he authored that I was to copy and paste verbatim, in a social media post. (I alone handle social media posts for the organization.)

I’m not using a photoshopped picture. I’m insulted for the photographer. And I’m also not using his text.

Andy Marlette Darrin Bell Wallace The Brave Bart van Leeuwen Get Fuzzy Jimmy Margulies