/

Ask Amy: Israel-Hamas war hits very close to home

Dear Amy: My husband and I are Israeli-American.

We live in the United States and have one child – an infant.

Before children, we agreed on a three-child minimum, but now that we have our baby, I feel very strongly about being a one-child family. My husband still wants to have more children.

We agreed we'd table the discussion for later and if we did have more kids, we would wait for several years.

With the war breaking out, he decided that he wants to go back to Israel to fight.

I'm against it. I am estranged from my family and have a job that moves me every couple of years, so I have no support system if he dies.

I told him I would promise him another child quickly if he stays home. I mean it.

I would rather keep my family whole and sacrifice myself for another baby than sacrifice him and have my family ripped apart.

I know I wouldn't regret the baby once it's here. But I feel selfish for keeping him home and I also feel manipulative for putting an offer he can't resist on the table. But I just can't bear the thought of losing him.

Please tell me what to do,

Bart van Leeuwen Candorville Joel Pett Rudy Park Wumo Red and Rover