/

Ask Amy: Granddaughter’s life is too messy

Please, help me!

– Helpless in Montana

Dear Helpless: Six years of daily visits? So the dog won’t be lonely?

Sigh.

I assume that at one point, many years ago, you agreed to this. Perhaps you even enjoyed your daily commitment for a while, or pretended that you did.

You are 82. One of the privileges of age is the right to live your life the way you want to, and to truthfully state your preferences.

Try a version of this: “I’m letting you know that I’m retiring at the end of the month. This should give you time to arrange for daycare for the dog.”

If you can plan a two-week vacation starting at that time, it would drive the message home.

Dear Amy: “Mourning in Ohio” told about how her long-time partner (who cheated on his wife and left her for “Mourning”) died.

Should she go to the funeral?

Thank you for pointing out the many variables: especially the couple’s adult children. Their interests should be utmost in everyone’s minds.

– Been There

Dear Been There: Funerals can bring out the toughest ramifications of a person’s choices during life.

========

(You can email Amy Dickinson at askamy@amydickinson.com or send a letter to Ask Amy, P.O. Box 194, Freeville, NY 13068. You can also follow her on Twitter @askingamy or Facebook.)

©2023 Amy Dickinson. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Monte Wolverton Family Circus Dustin Free Range Arctic Circle David M. Hitch