/

Ask Amy: Granddaughter’s life is too messy

You’re the functioning adult, here. Your granddaughter has two parents she may need to bounce back to for housing. She is not without resources.

Sit down with her. Tell her that you love her and that you were happy to provide her with a place to lay her head when she needed it. And tell her that it is time for her to develop a plan to move out. Give her a reasonable and firm deadline, discuss housing solutions with her, let her parents know that the clock is ticking, and very calmly endure whatever temporary drama she introduces into the process. Tell her, “You can do this.” And then make sure she does.

Dear Amy: I am 82 years old, in fairly good shape, independent, and retired from a nursing career.

My children are adults. My son and one of my daughters each have a dog.

I am the official dog-sitter, and it clouds my happiness.

I don't want to be selfish, but I want peace in the years I have left.

I have been visiting one dog every day for the past six years while my daughter is at work. She is afraid the dog will be lonely!

I have also visited my son's dog very often.

They both travel a lot for leisure and here I am, ready to watch the little critters.

My question is: how do I stop the run-up sitting and get my life back?

Popeye Baby Blues Ed Gamble Family Circus Daddy's Home Dog Eat Doug