/

Ask Amy: Two besties experience ‘friendship interruptus’

Since there is no way to obtain health information, should my children be told? They loved their “grandfather" and I’d hate for them to feel “disinherited.”

– DNA Dud

Dear DNA: First of all, I think you should reconsider some of the language you are using to describe your situation.

I’d love to retire the word “illegitimate” to describe people born outside of marriage. (If anything, maybe it’s the parents who are “illegitimate.”)

And yes, in my opinion you should disclose this to your children.

They have as much a right to know about their DNA as you have to know about yours.

I hope you will remove all the “quotation marks” from your narrative – and your beliefs – about your own life.

You are legitimate. The family you know, the people you love – this is your family.

Your children can take the DNA information you’ve gathered so far and make their own choices about how to proceed.

Dear Amy: “Lonely and Angry” reported that her husband had relocated from their home and hometown, and moved in with his mother, many hours away.

Given that this has gone on for a year, I wish you had given her the bad news: He’s left, and he ain’t coming back.

– Been There

Dear Been There: I appreciate your blunt assessment.

========

(You can email Amy Dickinson at askamy@amydickinson.com or send a letter to Ask Amy, P.O. Box 194, Freeville, NY 13068. You can also follow her on Twitter @askingamy or Facebook.)

©2023 Amy Dickinson. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Mutts Dustin A.F. Branco Caption It Darrin Bell Garfield