/

Ask Amy: Family reunion presents concerns for a trans youth

I take it that Ash is 18 – or close to it. Leaving the household might be the best course, and you should step up and do what you can to assure this young person’s safety and well-being.

I hope you will make sure that Ash knows about the Trevor Project (thetrevorproject.org); they offer 24/7 support through a chat function (text 678-678).

Dear Amy: I have a question regarding guest stays.

I recently bought a modest second home that has two bedrooms and two bathrooms.

My problem is that if more than one person or couple visits at the same time I have only a couch or an air mattress to offer.

In a few weeks I have a male couple coming for a visit and they're bringing a female friend.

Should I offer my bedroom to the female guest? We're all in our late 50s/early 60s, so it's not like we're used to crashing on the couch.

What should I do?

– Harry the Host

Dear Harry: If you invited the third guest (she is a friend or family member and you issued the invitation), you should offer up your room and bunk on the couch. (One advantage of surrendering your own room is that the guest and their luggage are confined into that space, versus the awkwardness of having a suitcase in the living room.)

A.F. Branco Mallard Fillmore Hagar the Horrible Dustin Doonesbury Jack Ohman