/

Ask Amy: Grandparents’ choice to joy-ride is not safe

I live in a rural area where many people own both ATVs and guns. But NO responsible person who cares about children will risk a child’s safety.

And no wise grandparent who wants to spend time with a grandchild will openly defy that child’s parents.

Dear Amy: I was just reading your "Best of" column from 2012 that addresses political differences between friends.

Part of your response to writer ("Fed Up") was: "Sophisticated people living in a country devoted to free speech should be able to tolerate different – or even offensive – perspectives without wanting to leave the country...."

Even though this advice is 10 years old, it's still (if not more) relevant today.

I wrote it down on my calendar so I can see it every day and hopefully be able to quote it without botching it up.

Thank you!

– Grateful

Dear Grateful: I have to admit that when I was reviewing columns from 10 years ago, I was a little surprised that the political divide referenced even existed.

And then I remembered, as I often do, my own early childhood in the turbulent ’60s and ’70s.

Spectickles Dog Eat Doug Bizarro Candorville Barney Google And Snuffy Smith Chip Bok