Egg wash, as needed to brush the top of pie
Raw sugar, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll one disk of dough into a circle about 8 inches in diameter, starting at the center of the disk and rolling away from you. Use additional flour and give the dough a quarter turn between each roll to prevent it from sticking to the table. Continue rolling until the dough is an even 1/8-inch thick.
3. Carefully roll one circle of the dough around the rolling pin and unroll over the pie plate. Fit the dough into the plate by gently pressing it into the corners and against the base and sides of the plate. Trim the excess dough, leaving about a 1-inch overhang. Place the lined pie plate in the freezer for about 15 minutes to chill slightly. Roll second pie disc, for use of the lattice, and set aside in the refrigerator.
4. While the pie dough is chilling, prepare the pie filling. In a large bowl, toss cherries, lemon juice and zest, sugar, cornstarch, salt and vanilla together until well combined. Set aside and prepare your lattice top. Using a ruler, make ½ -inch strips for your lattice top.
5. Fill pie with cherry filling. Top the cherry filling with a lattice top and flute the pie edge. Egg wash the top and sprinkle raw sugar.
6. Bake cherry pie for about 35 to 45 minutes, or until cherry pie filling is bubbling and set, and the top is golden brown. Allow to cool before slicing.
— From the Institute of Culinary Education