Current News

/

ArcaMax

Suspects charged San Diego Islamic Center wearing armor, firing on multiple people, witnesses say

Richard Winton, Hannah Fry, Salvador Hernandez and Clara Harter, Los Angeles Times on

Published in News & Features

SAN DIEGO — The two gunmen who opened fire at a San Diego mosque and killed three people inside Monday were “fully armored” and rushed toward the entrance with handguns and rifles before a security guard shot at and struck one of them, a witness and member of the mosque said.

But in the chaotic exchange of gunfire Monday morning, the gunman who was shot by the security guard appeared unfazed, and continued to charge toward the mosque.

“He heroically shot one of the victims, but they were fully armored so it did little to stop them,” said the man, identified by the mosque’s imam as “Brother Os.”

The two other victims killed Monday morning were on the phone, calling police and trying to assess what was happening, the witness said.

The brief update from the witness came in an Instagram post from the Islamic Center San Diego, where Imam Taha Hassane stood next to the witness.

In the video, the man identified as Brother Os described how the gunmen rushed toward the mosque “as soon as they parked their car.”

He said the other two victims ran toward the mosque and were on the phone, hiding behind cars in the parking lot trying to reach out to police.

The two suspects then chased the two victims.

The details of the deadly shooting provided a brief and chaotic glimpse into the shooting, under investigation as a hate crime, while the community is still trying to assess what sparked the attack.

A day after two people opened fire at a San Diego mosque and killed three people inside before taking their own lives, the community was still reeling from shock and loss, and looking for answers as to what sparked the deadly attack.

At the entrance of the Islamic Center of San Diego, police tape still blocked the entrance to the building, and a man stood outside the black iron gate, cradling his head in his hands while he wept.

The security guard to the building, one of the victims in the shooting, was his friend.

“He was a good man,” the man screamed toward the entrance but at no one in particular. He declined to provide his name.

An early focus has been on one of the assailants, a San Diego high school student whose mother reported that he was suicidal and potentially armed soon before the shooting occurred.

The student, 17, and a second person, 18, opened fire at the center Monday morning around 11:30 a.m., authorities said. They were found minutes later at a location not far from the center, dead of self-inflicted gunshot wounds, according to authorities.

San Diego police are investigating the attack as a hate crime.

One of the guns had hate speech written on it, law enforcement sources told the Los Angeles Times, and anti-Islamic writings were found in a vehicle.

 

“At least one of the suspects took a firearm from their parents’ home” and left a suicide note, “writing about racial pride,” sources said.

Monday afternoon, FBI agents were searching the suspect’s home on Lehrer Drive, according to law enforcement sources. The house is around two miles from the Islamic Center, which is in the Clairemont Mesa neighborhood.

The suspect was enrolled in a virtual learning academy at the San Diego Unified School District and was on track to graduate high school this semester, according to district spokesperson James Canning.

He previously participated in wrestling at Madison High School but did not take part in any on-campus activities this school year, said Canning.

“It’s important for people to understand this person wasn’t there on Friday and then all of a sudden Monday this is the situation,” Canning said. “They were in their virtual classroom.”

Although authorities have not named the first suspect, three sources identified him as Cain Clark. Two law enforcement sources identified the second suspect as Caleb Vazquez.

San Diego police Chief Scott Wahl said Monday that his department got a call from the suspect’s mother about a “runaway juvenile.” He said the mother said guns were missing and that her son left with a companion wearing camouflage outfits.

Police were interviewing her when the first calls of the active shooter came in, he said.

Wahl did not specify the threats connected to the suspects.

“There was no specific threat, especially no specific threat to the Islamic Center. It was just general hate kind of speech that I think covered a wide gamut,” Wahl said. “Again, we are still actively investigating this as we speak, but it was more generalized.”

Authorities said that, when they arrived at the center at about 11:45 a.m., they found three adults dead in front of the building. Police then received additional calls about gunfire several blocks away. A landscaper was shot at but not injured in the 7100 block of Salerno Street. Minutes later, police also responded to the 3800 block of Salerno Street where, inside, officers found the two suspects dead. Little is known about the second suspect.

Clark attended an elementary and a middle school in person at the district, but following the pandemic his family enrolled him in online schooling full-time, Canning said.

During the shooting, five of the district’s schools close to the Islamic Center were placed on lockdown. San Diego Unified Superintendent Fabi Bagula said in a statement Monday that “hate has no place in our community or schools” and that “every student family and community member deserves to feel safe, valued and able to worship and gather without fear.”

The district is making counselors available to all students and families affected by the tragedy.

Officials have not spoken of a specific motive, but San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria said: “Hate has no home in San Diego. Islamophobia has no home in San Diego. An attack on any one of our communities — on any San Diegan because of who they are, what they believe, or how they pray — is an attack on all of us.”


©2026 Los Angeles Times. Visit at latimes.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus