Current News



The Dali crew is in limbo. With Wi-Fi, they can see the world outside the Port of Baltimore

Maya Lora, The Baltimore Sun on

Published in News & Features

BALTIMORE — Over the weekend, the crew still onboard the Dali ship could finally see for themselves what everyone had been saying about them.

On March 26, a 984-foot container ship en route to Sri Lanka struck the Francis Scott Key Bridge, sending it into the Patapsco River. Teams are working around the clock to clear out the debris the crash left behind.

Meanwhile, 21 crew members — 20 from India and one from Sri Lanka — have been on board the Dali, performing their ship duties as they answer questions from investigators looking to piece together how a tragedy that wiped out the lives of six Latino construction workers and tore down an iconic piece of Baltimore life transpired.

One of the crew members suffered minor injuries in the crash and was treated at an area facility before being transported back to the Dali said Darrell Wilson, a spokesperson for Synergy Marine Group, the Singapore-based manager of the Dali. In the week since the initial incident, no crew members have reported additional injuries.

“They’re in good shape. They’re being well looked after, well cared for,” Wilson said.

Wilson said the vessel was stocked for a cross ocean voyage, leaving plenty of supplies and food for the crew while they wait.


Gov. Wes Moore said at a news conference Monday that crew members are still able to move around their living quarters and kitchen, which were not in the part of the ship “most deeply impacted by the wreckage.”

On Saturday, a salvage ship delivered Wi-Fi hotspots to the crew of the Dali, who are facing an unclear timeline as to when they may be allowed to disembark. The Rev. Josh Messick is the executive director of the Baltimore International Seafarers’ Center, which received eight hotspots from two faith-based support organizations for seafarers in Florida. Messick said two hotspots were brought to the Dali and the rest were delivered to the other seven ships stranded around the port.

Messick said he also sent his contact information, 40 muffins baked by a homeroom mom who reached out to him, and a letter for the ship’s captain “expressing my gratitude for him and the crew, that they did everything that they could to prevent this and thanking them for their actions that saved so many countless lives because of how swiftly they reacted.”

The crew then used their new internet hookup to message Messick and thank him. Messick said they haven’t asked for any additional supplies since.


swipe to next page

©2024 The Baltimore Sun. Visit at Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.


blog comments powered by Disqus