Current News



2 officers, process server shot during eviction in Independence, Missouri

Robert A. Cronkleton, Glenn E. Rice, Kendrick Calfee, Jonathan Shorman, Nathan Pilling and Judy L. Thomas, The Kansas City Star on

Published in News & Features

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Two Independence police officers and a civil process server were shot, two of them fatally, during an eviction Thursday afternoon in the northeast part of the city, officials said.

A tactical response team had to be called in to extract the officer’s body from the front porch of a residence. The victims were taken to Centerpoint Medical Center, two of them in critical condition, the Missouri Highway Patrol said.

Officials confirmed Independence police officer Cody Allen was killed in the gunfire, along with Jackson County courts civil process server Drexel Mack.

About a half dozen police cars were parked outside the main entrance of Centerpoint Medical Center in Independence after the shooting. Officers and police personnel could be seen hugging each other and crying.

The shooting occurred shortly after 1 p.m. in the 1100 block of North Elsea Smith Road, near East Bundschu Road, said Cpl. Justin Ewing, a spokesman with the Missouri State Highway Patrol.

A civil process server with the Jackson County Circuit Court called Independence police requesting call for officer assistance. The caller advised that an officer with the court had been shot, Ewing said. Simultaneously, a neighbor called 911 saying that an officer had been shot.

Multiple officers from the Independence Police Department responded and additional shots were fired, critically injuring two police officers, Ewing said.

At that time, officers from multiple agencies responded to assist, including tactical units. Eventually, a male suspect was taken into custody with minor injuries.

It was unknown how many civil process servers were on the scene when the initial shots were fired, Ewing said.

Officers and tactical units with the Kansas City Police Department also responded, said Capt. Jake Becchina with the Kansas City Police Department. They initiated an Operation 100, a tactical response for an armed barricaded suspect that includes negotiators trained to help deescalate a situation.

As of shortly before 5 p.m., no one has made it inside the house, Becchina said. Police do not have any indication any more people were inside the home. Once the home is deemed clear and safe, the house will be turned over to the highway patrol to investigate the shooting.

The call went out about 1:12 p.m., according to audio captured on, saying: “Independence, we have units en route. Officers down inside the doorway. Suspect is still inside.”

Then, at 1:15 p.m., came the call: “Independence is requesting assistance. They have an officer down at 1111 N. Elsea Smith Road.

Another voice said: “This will be on a gunshot wound.”

Two minutes later a voice said: “We now have two officers down.”

Around 1:30 p.m., someone said, “We see the incoming units are telling us to stay in the back, the officers are still stuck at the house getting shot at.”

Then, around 1:40 p.m., someone said: “I’m on foot…we’re approaching the house and it appears that they’re doing CPR on one of the officers.”


Fort Osage schools spokesperson Stephanie Smith said local schools were temporarily placed on lockdown for 20-30 minutes, meaning all exterior doors were locked but classes continued. Once law enforcement gave them the all clear, they lifted the lockdown and plan to conduct dismissal like normal.

Alden Smith, an 18 year old who lives in the area, described being at a nearby McDonald’s restauarant when about half a dozen police vehicles sped by at around 1:30 p.m.

Smith, along some friends, drove by the scene a few minutes later and described seeing numerous police vehicles, along with officers who they said appeared to be part of a SWAT unit.

“Some adrenaline is definitely going through,” Smith said.

The shooting is the second officer-involved shooting in Independence in a week.

Officers shot and killed 32-year-old Sief Bani-Khalid of Independence while responding to an armed disturbance about 4:40 p.m. Feb. 22 at a home in the 700 block of North Frandsen Road. Officers were checking out a report that gunshots had been fired.

Arriving officers encountered Bani-Khalid at the front door entryway and gave commands that were heard by witnesses, police have said. Two officers fired their weapons, striking and killing Bani-Khalid.

Bani-Khalid died at the scene. Police said a firearm was allegedly found near where he was shot. He was also allegedly wearing a fanny pack containing ammunition.

This shooting also comes two weeks after a mass shooting killed one person and injured 24 others at the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl victory rally at Union Station Feb. 14.

News of Thursday’s fatal shooting spread quickly.

Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas said in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter: “My heart breaks for the Independence Police Department and all the family and friends of their officer who succumbed to injuries from a shooting earlier today.”

He added that he was praying for all others affected and all of the women and men of law enforcement in the Kansas City area.

Missouri Gov. Mike Parson said his office continue to receive updates on the shooting. He said the Missouri State Highway Patrol was assisting.

“Teresa and I are praying for the@IndepMoPolice officers involved and all who work to protect us,” Parson said in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter.

The Kansas City office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also responded to the scene to assist the Independence Police Department.


©2024 The Kansas City Star. Visit at Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.


blog comments powered by Disqus