Massachusetts woman to be formally charged Tuesday in deaths of her 3 children
Published in News & Features
BOSTON — The Massachusetts mother accused of strangling her three children to death last month is set to be formally charged Tuesday as a fundraiser set up for her husband to make ends meet has blown past its $1 million goal.
Lindsay Clancy, 32, is scheduled to be arraigned in Plymouth District Court Tuesday afternoon on two counts of murder and three counts each of strangulation or suffocation and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.
Clancy will appear for the hearing over the internet teleconferencing client Zoom from a hospital bed. The horrific tragedy at the home at 47 Summer St. in Duxbury was unfolded when her husband, Patrick, called 911 at 6:11 p.m. Jan 24 to report that his wife had tried to commit suicide.
First responders found Clancy suffering from injuries but also found the three young children unconscious and suffering from apparent trauma, according to the first details released from Plymouth DA Timothy Cruz. Two children, Cora, 5, and Dawson, 3, would be pronounced dead that night at area hospitals.
A third, 7-month-old Callan, was flown to a hospital in Boston and survived through his mother’s arrest warrant issued the next day — which included murder charges for the deaths of the two older children — but would succumb to his injuries early on Jan. 27.
Her defense attorney last week told the Boston Herald that Lindsay Clancy had been prescribed an “unbelievable” amount of medication that “were turning her into a zombie.”
“It’s absolutely staggering. She had homicidal and suicidal ideations” that she couldn’t control, Reddington said. “She was in a living hell and the husband did the best he could.”
A GoFundMe drive organized to help Patrick Clancy “pay for medical bills, funeral services, and legal help” in the wake of the tragedy has sailed past its goal of $1 million to reach $1,041,610 by 10:06 a.m. Tuesday.
“This assistance is especially needed because Pat will be unable to work for the foreseeable future as he weathers this painful, life-altering tragedy,” wrote drive organizer Matthew Glaser on the drive’s page. “We all know Pat to be the most kind and genuine person. As someone who is always willing to support others, we sincerely thank you for offering yours.”
The drive was the medium Patrick Clancy chose to issue his first and only public statement since the tragedy.
In it, he said that he is “completely lost without” his children and has forgiven his wife and asked that others do the same.
“My family was the best thing that ever happened to me. I took so much pride in being Lindsay’s husband and a dad to Cora, Dawson, and Callan,” he wrote on Jan. 28, the day after Callan died. “I always reminded myself that each day with them was a new gift.”
©2023 MediaNews Group, Inc. Visit at bostonherald.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.