Current News

/

ArcaMax

Russian troops move to encircle strategic city in eastern Ukraine

Patrick J. McDonnell and Nabih Bulos, Los Angeles Times on

Published in News & Features

KYIV, Ukraine — As the conflict in Ukraine enters its fourth month, Russian troops appeared Tuesday to be on the cusp of a breakthrough in the disputed Donbas region, with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy warning of difficult weeks ahead.

Russian forces have launched a campaign to encircle Severodonetsk — the easternmost point of the Donbas still under Ukrainian control — along with its sister city, Lysychansk, just to the south.

By Tuesday morning, after days of withering artillery duels along the eastern front, Russian troops were reported to have seized portions of Lyman, a town roughly 30 miles west of Severodonetsk, and blitzed into the village of Zolote, south of Lysychansk. Those attacks and a Russian stab from north of Severodonetsk form a three-pronged offensive to take the city.

“The intensity of fire on Severodonetsk has increased by multiple times — they are simply destroying the city,” Luhansk Gov. Serhiy Haidai said in a TV interview. He echoed Zelenskyy’s overnight address to the nation, which accused Russian forces of “trying to destroy all living things” in the east.

“Literally,” Zelenskyy said. “Nobody destroyed Donbas as the Russian military does now.”

At the same time, authorities in Mariupol, which Russia now controls in its most significant gain of the war, announced the gruesome discovery of 200 bodies in the basement of a collapsed apartment building. The nearly obliterated port city in the southeast has endured some of the worst suffering of the war.

 

Zelenskyy also cited a Russian missile barrage that struck the village of Desna last week in northern Ukraine, killing 87 people in one of the war’s deadliest single attacks, as he appealed for more arms from the U.S. and other supportive nations.

“Every time we tell our partners that we need modern anti-missile weapons, modern combat aircraft, we are not just making a formal request,” he said. “We say that our request is the real lives of many people who would not have died if we had received all the weapons we are seeking.”

Meanwhile, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said Tuesday that Russian airstrikes destroyed a depot in the Donbas used to store U.S.-produced M777 Howitzer artillery shells. The United States has fast-tracked deliveries of the artillery in recent weeks as part of a larger lend-lease program to Ukraine.

The ministry also said Russian sappers had de-mined a section of the coast of the Sea of Azov adjacent to the port of Mariupol, the Russian news agency Tass reported.

...continued

swipe to next page
©2022 Los Angeles Times. Visit at latimes.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus