Current News



UConn student faces murder, attempted murder charges in homicide

David Owens, The Hartford Courant on

Published in News & Features

HARTFORD, Conn. -- An arrest warrant charging UConn senior Peter Manfredonia has been signed and will be served on him when he returns to Connecticut.

Manfredonia, 23, remains in custody at a jail in Hagerstown, Md., where he has been held since he was taken into custody at gunpoint Wednesday night near a truck stop after a six-day manhunt through four states.

Police said their investigation into Manfredonia continues in both Connecticut and Maryland, where he was on the run for more than 24 hours before his capture.

A warrant has been signed by a judge charging Manfredonia with murder, attempted murder and first-degree assault on a person older than 60 in connection with the incident on Mirtl Road in Willington. Warrants are in the works for the Willington home invasion as well as for the murder of a Derby man and kidnapping of his girlfriend last Sunday.

Ted DeMers, 62, died in the Willington attack and an 80-year-old man was badly injured. Police said Manfredonia used a samurai sword in the crime.

After the Mirtl Road attack, police say Manfredonia went to a home in Willington and tied up the homeowner but did not harm him. Police said he stole guns, food and the man's pickup truck and headed to Derby early Sunday morning.

Police say Manfredonia went to an acquaintances's home in Derby, where police say he killed the man, kidnapped his girlfriend and stole her car.


The woman was found safe later on May 24, along with the car, at a rest stop along I-80 in Pennsylvania, about seven miles from the Pennsylvania border. Manfredonia then used a ride share service to make his way into Pennsylvania, where he is suspected of stealing a car that he used to drive to Chambersburg, Pa. The stolen vehicle was recovered Tuesday morning and Manfredonia was spotted on surveillance video in a Sheetz convenience store in Chambersburg.

He then went on to Hagerstown from Chambersburg with another ride from a ride share service and was on the loose until he was caught about 9 p.m. Wednesday near a truck stop in Hagerstown. There was a heavy police presence near the truck stop because the U.S. Marshals were able track Manfredonia, who again used a ride share service, to the location.

Police officers spotted Manfredonia, realized he was their suspect and ordered him to the ground at gunpoint. He did not resist arrest, police said.

(c)2020 The Hartford Courant (Hartford, Conn.)

Visit The Hartford Courant (Hartford, Conn.) at

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.