Current News



Deaths of 9/11 first responders from Ground Zero-related illnesses are on the rise -- diseases such as pulmonary fibrosis are just beginning to take their toll

Cindy Dampier, Chicago Tribune on

Published in News & Features

Like most first responders, former New York City detective Tom Frey is a master of understatement -- even when it comes to talking about the World Trade Center terror attacks on 9/11, the most devastating assignment of his life.

"We were going down there, just trying to find anyone who was alive," he says of the hours and days that followed the collapse of the towering skyscrapers in Lower Manhattan. "We were digging in, moving concrete with our hands, basically just trying to find anyone, anybody who was alive. I was never lucky enough to find a survivor, but we did all we could."

Instead, Frey found himself tending to the dead, sifting through debris brought to a Staten Island landfill looking for any trace of evidence that could shed light on the horrific attack. He searched for plane parts and human remains, all parts of a landscape rendered unrecognizable by pulverizing destruction and a pervasive layer of gray dust.

"On the job, I've seen plane crashes, people jumping out of windows, hanging themselves, subways derailed -- all sorts of things. But you're never prepared for something like this," Frey says.

America would never be the same. Neither would Tom Frey.

Frey, who now lives in Florida, is one of many 9/11 first responders with serious illnesses brought on by exposure to the dust, smoke and chemicals of Ground Zero. A battle with Hodgkin's lymphoma, which his doctors tied to his 9/11 exposure, included multiple rounds of chemotherapy. That treatment led to a secondary diagnosis: pulmonary fibrosis, an incurable scarring of the lungs that can have many causes and is one of the latest diseases to be correlated with Ground Zero exposure, according to a study published earlier this year by the New York City Department of Health and the World Trade Center Health Registry.


On 9/11, Frey remembers looking up to see gray ash falling like a soft rain and realizing that he and other cops were wearing only paper masks: "I said, 'This is not going to be good down the road.'" When he was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis in 2016, his doctor told him "that the chemo drugs had started a fire in my lungs with some of the debris from the Trade Center, and he said there was nothing they could do for me."

Though Frey had long thought of himself as invincible -- "I figured, hey, all those hotdogs I ate from the street vendors, I must be immune to everything," he jokes -- he is part of the growing toll of victims of the 9/11 attacks. Three hundred forty-three New York City firefighters died during the initial response. In July, New York City mayor Bill de Blasio announced that the 200th NYC firefighter had died from a Ground Zero-related illness, a number that is expected to continue to climb and even exceed the original firefighter death toll.

Frey remembers a detective who sat at the desk next to his, who was one of the first to succumb to a pulmonary illness. His friend and fellow NYC detective Luis Alvarez, who supported Frey through his cancer treatments and made news in June when he gave emotional testimony before Congress in support of extending the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund, died two weeks after his testimony.

In July, the victim fund was extended through 2090 -- a necessary measure, says Dr. Greg Cosgrove, chief medical officer at the Chicago-based Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation, because illnesses such as pulmonary fibrosis will continue to be linked to Ground Zero exposure.


swipe to next page


blog comments powered by Disqus