Current News



DA declines to charge former LAPD officer in fatal shooting of homeless man on Venice boardwalk

Kate Mather and Cindy Chang, Los Angeles Times on

Published in News & Features

But video from a nearby bar and statements from Proctor's partner disputed that account, according to the report. Glenn's hand was never seen "on or near any portion" of the holster, the report said, and his partner never made "any statements or actions" suggesting Glenn was trying to take the gun.

The district attorney's office released that video Thursday as part of an 83-page memo outlining the decision by prosecutors.

"I think the DA's office made a very difficult decision, but it was the right decision," said Proctor's attorney, Bill Seki. "Based upon the law, this was a justified shooting."

Proctor had an "honest belief" that Glenn was reaching for his partner's gun, Seki said.

"Based upon the aggressiveness of the individual and the struggle they were having at that moment, his state of mind and everything he was perceiving, he believed that he and his partner were in danger," Seki said.

The shooting rattled Venice, particularly the young homeless people whom Glenn camped with on the beach. After the shooting, as investigators combed the scene, Glenn's friends held signs with his name outside the yellow police tape. They later packed a town hall meeting, criticizing police.

Glenn moved to California looking for work a few months before his death, his mother and sister previously told the Los Angeles Times. They described him as an adventurer who wasn't afraid of a challenge, someone who loved cracking jokes and helping others.

--Sponsored Video--

The Police Commission, the civilian oversight panel that reviews all shootings by LAPD officers, unanimously agreed in 2016 that Proctor violated department policy when he shot Glenn. Later that year, the city agreed to pay Glenn's mother and young son $4 million to settle lawsuits they filed after his death.

Proctor, meanwhile, is awaiting trial on domestic violence and other charges in Orange County. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

(Los Angeles Times staff writer Marisa Gerber contributed to this report.)

(c)2018 Los Angeles Times

Visit the Los Angeles Times at

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.



blog comments powered by Disqus